Director of Accounting and Human Resources (Full Time)
Reports to: COO
Works directly with: CEO, COO, Finance Committee, Directors, Development Manager
Oversees: Office Manager, Volunteer Manager
Terms: This position is full-time, subject to deductions for taxes and other withholdings as required by law and the policies of the organization. This is an exempt position that falls under the Director pay classification. Salary range is 45k - 55k and is dependent on experience.
The Director of Accounting and Human Resources is a strategic thought partner to and reports to the COO. The successful candidate with lead, develop and support the following areas: accounting & financial reporting, departmental budgeting, human resources, administration and IT. The Director of Accounting and Human Resources is a member of the leadership team of Directors and plays a critical role in strategic decision making and financial and human resources management decisions. This positions works closely with the COO and departmental directors, informed by the World Pulse Team, to develop and monitor budgets, manage finances and financial reporting, and manage accounting, administrative and human resources functions. The Director of Accounting and Human Resources actively works with the COO to strengthen financial stewardship with the World Pulse Board’s Finance Committee.
Director of Accounting & HR
Duties/Responsibilities- Accounting, Human Resources & Administration
Direct and Oversee Organizational Financial, Human Resource and Office Functions
• Develop, in collaboration with CEO, COO, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Director of Programs and Development Manager, operational strategy and annual plan, and oversee overall execution of annual budget, administrative systems and policy and procedure development.
Accounting & Finance
• Lead annual departmental budgeting process; collaborate with COO and Development Manager on annual budget for board approval; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes, and keep Leadership team and COO informed of updates, concerns and opportunities; keep World Pulse team abreast of the organizations financial status.
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments and produce all financial, project/ program and grant accounting.
• Coordinate the annual audit process and annual reporting; liaise with external auditors, accountants, and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors; assess any changes as necessary.
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting with COO.
• Manage & implement all accounting functions: accounts payable, donations & receivables, payroll, monthly accruals and allocations, and reporting.
• In collaboration with COO, develop and bolster administrative and operations systems, policies, and structures to enable efficient and sustainable operations and organizational work plan implementation; streamline systems, policies and processes, incorporating feedback loops.
• Update and implement all necessary business policies, accounting practices, human resource and administrative policies across organization; improve financial, administrative, and human resources policy and procedure manuals.
• Effectively communicate and present the critical financial and administrative matters to the COO, CEO and Finance Committee; collaborate effectively with the Board Finance Committee, key Advisors, partners and other stakeholders in the diverse World Pulse extended community.
• Manage Office Manager, Volunteer Manager and Social Venture Partners ENCORE program retiree recruitment and placement.
• Work closely and transparently with external administrative partners including third party vendors and consultants.
• Oversee administrative functions with Office Manager, as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations.
• Oversee financial, HR, IT, and organizational liability.
• Keep the COO apprised of the pulse of the organization, from finances to human resource matters and organizational culture and direction.
• Collaborate with leadership team for effective utilization of resources across organization.
• Develop, with COO, World Pulse’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluations, training, recruiting and orientation.
• Ensure that recruiting, hiring, orientation, evaluation, and exit processes are consistent and streamlined; coordinate recruitment, interview, and hiring process for new hires, and oversee team member evaluations.
• In collaboration with COO, foster staff leadership by helping them to identify a path to success that serves the needs of World Pulse as well as their own personal and professional development goals; build a positive environment that inspires the team to work in the spirit of collaboration to achieve mutually beneficial goals and produce results.
• Contribute to meeting of network/traffic growth goals through outreach activities and social media efforts.
• Manage M&E metric reporting specific to finance & human resources.
• Be active on World Pulse Online Community.
• Participate in events and represent World Pulse.
• Participate in strategic planning sessions and contribute to the long-term vision and sustainability of World Pulse.
• Assist Development team with resource development efforts.
• Adhere to and understand role in safety and security guidelines.
• Be flexible, as a global organization, team members must be available occasionally to conduct work outside of office hours with prior notice
• Actively contribute to a positive working environment that fosters honesty, professionalism, creativity and caring
• Ensure the integration of programs with all other departments, capitalizing on areas for collaboration.
The key attributes for this position include:
• A minimum of a BA in Accounting or Business Administration, or 7-10 years of professional experience; ideally with 5+ years of broad financial and human resources management experience in the non-profit sector.
• The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit and annual report coordination for either a division or organizational level, and has overseen a human resources function.
• Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues.
• Experience in grant management and restricted funds management.
• Experience in technology, particularly in selecting and overseeing software and hardware selection and installation, and managing relationships with software and hardware vendors; a thorough knowledge of accounting and reporting software (with extensive experience in Quickbooks for Non-Profits).
• Commitment to onboarding and staff development programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization, including best practices in the human resources activities.
• Successful demonstration of ability to set priorities; keen analytic, organization and program solving skills which support sound decision making.
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate with, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, honesty, and dedication to the mission of World Pulse.
• Attention to detail and deadlines.
• Strategic analysis and project management skills.
• Ability to deal with uncertainty and work under tight deadlines.
• Flexibility to work outside of normal office hours as needed.
• Strong organizational skills, comfort with some multitasking, and proven ability to operate in a fast-moving, dynamic environment.
• Ability to be personable, humorous, humble, bold and encouraging in an online community.
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Strong skills in communicating World Pulse mission as well as maintaining World Pulse editorial style in communications with stakeholders.
• A positive, ambitious attitude with boundless energy and stamina for start-up.
• Cross-culturally responsive
• Foreign language
• Experience in developing countries.
• Knowledge in women’s empowerment, grassroots movement building, and gender programing.
Terms: This position is full time, subject to deductions for taxes and other withholdings as required by law and the policies of the organization. This is an exempt position that falls under the Director pay classification. Salary is $45-55k, depending on experience.
World Pulse is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition or conditions, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participated in the application process. Please advise of special needs at the time of hire.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and able to reside in Portland, Oregon at the time of hire. We will not accommodate remote employment at this time.
E-mail pdfs of resume and cover letter addressing requirements and attributes listed in job description. Applications without all of these items included or in the format requested will not be considered. Please e-mail applications to email@example.com. Position is open until filled