Web Developer (Full Time)
Reports to: Senior Technology Architect
Works directly with: entire staff
The Web Developer will be responsible for researching, implementing, maintaining, and supporting various components of World Pulse’s technology platform, including our online presence at worldpulse.com, related website software and infrastructure, tools and services including MailChimp and Salesforce, as well as basic I.T. needs (computers, printers, phones, etc). The desired candidate will possess exemplary communication skills, outstanding attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple priorities, the eagerness to excel in all responsibilities listed below, and the capability to grow their role at World Pulse.
• Comfortable working closely with internal customers of varying technical sophistication.
• Attuned to the latest technology developments, particularly those related to Drupal and nonprofit websites.
• Able to empower managers of different aspects of the website with the tools needed to do their jobs most effectively.
• Have a deep passion for accessible, high-performing websites and related web technologies.
• Work well within a team environment and can participate in all aspects of the design and development process to ensure goals are achieved, including researching, recommending, selecting, and managing appropriate technologies.
• Support, maintain, and update World Pulse’s technology platform, including the website content management system (Drupal) and the web server (Linux, Apache, MySQL).
• Support the technology needs of the World Pulse team, including technology troubleshooting and support.
• Assist with website development projects, including leading new development and maintaining existing code (e.g., bug fixes, functionality changes, and code optimization).
• Support and empower content managers and other team members to meet day-to-day needs to add and update content.
• Collaborate on UX and UI design and demonstrate innovative and thoughtful strategies, designs, and experiences.
• Convert page designs into functioning Drupal templates and pages.
• Manage various external technology services.
• Maintain and troubleshoot onsite technology resources and infrastructure as needed.
• Manage, synchronize, migrate, and integrate data between services as needed (e.g., website, CRM, and email lists).
• Create, work with, and modify design files.
• Develop and implement analytics strategy in collaboration with the Programs Team.
• Export, analyze, and create reports on data from the website and other sources as needed.
• Be available during regularly scheduled hours.
• Ensure site performance meets security, speed, and uptime standards, especially during emergencies.
• Understand and work within project parameters: goals, requirements, usability, technical constraints, and schedule.
• Design and develop reusable, scalable code architectures. Follow standards and style guides for code, comments, and written text.
• Test and debug at all levels, from unit to acceptance.
• Assist with researching new technologies and services.
• Work with other members of the team on problems, but also work individually as required by the project. Be self-motivated, but collaborative.
• Contribute to meeting of network/traffic growth goals through outreach activities and social media efforts.
• Be active on World Pulse Online Community
• Participate in weekly team meetings
• Contribute in strategic planning sessions
• Adhere to and understand role in safety and security guidelines
• As a global organization, team members must be available occasionally to conduct work outside of PST office hours with prior notice
• Actively contribute to a positive working environment that fosters honesty, professionalism, creativity, caring and celebration.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience required.
• Advanced Linux, Apache, and MySQL skills. Experience with web server configuration and tuning.
• Three or more years’ experience working with Drupal, including the Drupal 6 API.
• Experience installing, maintaining, and upgrading an enterprise-level content management system.
• Familiarity with popular industry APIs from providers like Facebook and Google.
• Experience working with the UNIX command line.
• Experience working with revision control systems (Subversion and Git preferred).
• Enthusiasm for open-source philosophy and community involvement.
• Passionate about software development and web technologies.
• Experience building scalable systems that can support numerous concurrent users.
• Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work both independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
• Professional, yet personable, demeanor.
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Familiarity with a range of software and UI design patterns.
• Familiarity with responsive design and progressive enhancement techniques.
• Proficiency in standard design tools such as Photoshop and business software such as Microsoft Office (specifically Word and Excel).
• Familiarity with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems.
• Ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
• Experience with product development processes and working with internal stakeholders on iterative project designs towards a final product.
• Experience working directly with team members of varying levels of technical proficiency for implementation of projects.
• Ability to work as part of a team and to communicate in a clear way.
• Experience working with Drupal 7 and Git.
• Experience working with cloud hosting, content distribution networks, and caching.
Bonus Skills and Experience
• Experience building and optimizing websites for mobile devices (such as tablets, smartphones, feature phones).
• Foreign language skills.
Terms: This position is full time, subject to deductions for taxes and other withholdings as required by law and the policies of the organization. This is an exempt position that falls under the Manager pay classification. Salary is $40k per year plus DOE.
World Pulse is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition or conditions, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participated in the application process. Please advise of special needs at the time of hire.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and able to reside in Portland, Oregon at the time of hire. We will not accommodate remote employment at this time.
E-mail pdfs of resume and cover letter addressing requirements and attributes listed in job description. Applications without all of these items included or in the format requested will not be considered. Please e-mail applications to email@example.com . Position is open until filled.