Toolkit for Advocacy and Action
From the Institute for Inclusive Security:
"Inclusive Security, Sustainable Peace: A Toolkit for Advocacy and Action is a resource for women peacebuilders and practitioners to effectively promote peace and security. Inclusive Security and International Alert collaborated to publish the toolkit in November 2004. Directed to women peacebuilders and the policy community, the toolkit outlines the components of peacebuilding from conflict prevention to post-conflict reconstruction and highlights the role that women play in each phase.
In 2007, Inclusive Security released an update to the toolkit with the goal of illustrating the toolkit’s concepts with new developments that occurred after its original publication. The update is a complement to, not a substitute for, the toolkit.
The main goals of the Toolkit are to:
- provide an overview of critical information and strategies for addressing key peace and security issues;
- bridge the divide between the realities of peace activists in conflict, post-conflict, and transition areas, and the international practitioners and policymakers responsible for designing and implementing programs in these contexts;
- present issues in a user-friendly manner and demystify the “policy speak” and terminology used by the international community;
- describe how women are affected by and contribute to peacemaking, peacebuilding, and security processes; and
- highlight practical examples of women’s contributions and offer concrete, feasible steps for fostering their empowerment.
A key measure of our success will be the extent to which activists, policymakers, and others use, develop, and take ownership of this resource.