An Introduction to Tags and How to Use Them on World Pulse
by World Pulse
A tag is a “keyword” or term assigned to a piece of information, such as a journal or blog post.
A tag is used to describe or identify the content of a journal, and to make it easy to find and connect with other journals on the same topic. Tags on World Pulse journals become links to pages that list all the content with the same tag. This helps you find content on a particular topic or place, such as “human rights” or “Colombia”. By tagging your journal with appropriate keywords, you allow your post to quickly be found by members who are browsing or searching for information on those specific topics.
How to use tags on World Pulse:
When you create any kind of post on World Pulse, you will be asked to identify the main topics relevant to the content of your post. You will see a list of topics from World Pulse, as well as a box where you can enter your own topics, countries, and regions not found on the list.
- You can select and write in as many topics as are relevant to your post.
- When you click on a topic from the list, it will change color to signify that you have selected it.
- If you click on a topic by accident, you can un-select it by simply clicking it again (the background will turn back to white).
- When adding other topics and regions, type the keywords, countries, or regions in the box under “Other Topics and Regions.” You can click the green “+” symbol or press “enter” to add them. If you’re adding more than one at a time, be sure to separate each tag with a comma.
- Under “Other Topics and Regions,” your submissions will appear as boxes with a red “x” next to it. If you made a mistake or would like to remove that tag for any reason, just click the “x”.
The topics, keywords, countries, and regions you choose serve as tags to categorize your post on World Pulse. This way, if someone is searching for information on one of your chosen topics or regions, your journal will come up in the search.
For example, if you are writing a journal about an amazing woman named Sally Nguyen who runs a shelter for victims of sex trafficking in your community, you could tag your journal with the following keywords: Sally Nguyen, sex trafficking, human trafficking, shelter, women, rehabilitation. This way if someone is searching for information on human trafficking, your journal will come up in the search.
Once posted, the tags will appear in a list on the right side of your journal post, under your profile picture. If you are interested in reading more on one of those topics, click the tag to go to the list of posts with that same tag.
Just a note about formatting tags:
- Unlike Twitter or some other social media sites you may be used to, on World Pulse you do not need to put any symbol (such as #) before your tag, just write out the words.
- If you are participating in a World Pulse program and the staff has given you a specific tag to use, make sure you copy it exactly and do not put any symbols or quotation marks in it.
If you have any questions or want to know more, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Additional tags you might want to use:
Below is a list of keywords that World Pulse has identified as popular World Pulse tags. Please use these words, and any others you find appropriate, as tags for your posts.
Arts and Culture
Food and Recipe
Disasters and Emergencies
Prevention and Preparation
Education and Training
Environment and Sustainability
Natural Resource Management
Faith and Spirit
Tradition & Ritual
Rape in Conflict
Health and Healing
Maternal and child health
Drugs and Alcohol
Human Rights & Law
Rights of the Child
Land and Property Rights
Freedom of Speech
Leadership and Empowerment
Mentorship and Coaching
Media and Communications
Information, Communication, Technology (ICT)
Men and Boys as Allies
Ending Gender-Based Violence
Fatherhood and Caregiving
Sexuality and Sexual Health
Men and sexual exploitation
Peace and Security
Politics and Society
Technology and Innovations
You can also use these two websites to help you identify tags: copy and paste the text of your post, and the program will generate a list of suggested keywords.
Empowering this community with information is a key priority for World Pulse. If you found this information helpful, let us know how by posting a comment or sending us an email. Click here for a list of other World Pulse toolkits currently available.