July 15, 2013
July 14, 2013
July 1, 2013
June 21, 2013
June 16, 2013
June 15, 2013
June 9, 2013
June 3, 2013
June 1, 2013
2013 Voices of Our Future Applicants
Join the Revolution. YOU are a Voice of Our Future.
At this time, the application is closed to new applicants. The application process began April 2nd and will end April 29th. If you were unable to make it to this year's application, please join our online community and learn more about next year's program through our ecommunications.
Welcome to the Voices of Our Future Applicants group! By joining this group, you are embarking on an exciting journey to the frontiers of citizen journalism and global womenʼs empowerment. We are thrilled you have decided to apply.
What is Voices of Our Future?
Voices of Our Future is an online training program in citizen journalism, and digital empowerment for emerging grassroots women leaders. At the end of the application process, thirty applicants will be selected to become Correspondents and take part in the full five-month long program where they will gain the tools and knowledge to vocalize and actualize their visions for change. Specifically, Correspondents will learn about the principles of practicing ethical citizen journalism; how to write compelling frontline journals, profiles, feature stories, and op-eds; how to use new media to amplify their voices; and the basics of digital storytelling.
Benefits of the program include:
- Citizen journalism and digital empowerment training via phone and Internet by renowned experts, including program partners The Global Press Institute and The Op-Ed Project
- Personal coaching sessions and support via phone and Internet from a Vision Mentor
- Opportunities for publication through World Pulse and partner media organizations
- Opportunities to connect with grassroots women leaders from around the globe
- Personal development, including increased self-awareness, confidence, and empowered leadership
- Professional development, including improved skills in citizen journalism, digital empowerment and networking
- Nurturing and collaborative relationships with women, and our allies, across the globe
- Increased visibility for issues and challenges faced by you and your community
- Technology stipend to offset communication costs*
How Do We Select Applicants?
During the course of the application process, you will be given a set of learning materials each week (for a total of four (4) weeks) through the Voices of Our Future Applicants Classroom, and asked to complete an associated writing assignment. A panel of staff and selected volunteers, called Listeners, will choose 30 applicants based on the following criteria:
- Completion of all assignments
- Expression of a positive vision for the future and solutions-oriented writing
- Commitment to promote global issues through the eyes of women
- Communication of personal experience as an underrepresented voice in your community, nation, or world; living in a developing country or conflict zone; or facing discrimination on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, race, or social class
- Demonstration of leadership on a personal, community, national, or global level
You will have the opportunity to demonstrate the above criteria through your writing assignments and through your interaction with staff, other applicants, and our online community on World Pulse. We encourage you to reach out during this process and begin to build (or expand!) your own online community and discover the amazing women who are active on World Pulse every day. Read about the women who participated in Voices of Our Future in 2009, 2010 and 2012 and add them to your community!
How do I apply?
The application embodies the spirit of new media. You will need regular and reliable access to the Internet throughout.
Step 1: Join this group by April 2nd, 2013. Simply click on the orange "Join this group" button above. If you are not currently registered or logged in to World Pulse, you will be taken to the Login | Registration page. Once you have completed the registration, you will be directed back to this page, and then you can click the Join button above. This group serves as a space where you can ask questions and receive feedback and support from World Pulse staff and other applicants.
Step 2: If you were not previously registered for a World Pulse account, after you click “Create New Account” a welcome e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you used to register. You MUST log into your e-mail account, open this message, and click on the link to verify your account before you can post in World Pulse.
Step 3: After you have joined this group, please read the post titled “Welcome to the Voices of Our Future 2013 Applicants Group!.” This post can be found under the Group Journal tab at the top of the page.
Step 4: Please fill out the short intake survey before April 2nd (required). Go to http://bit.ly/WjjgtQ.
Step 5: From April 2nd through April 29th, applicants will be given a series of four (4) sets of learning materials and assignments to complete. The materials are divided into: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4. The classroom becomes live on April 2nd! Application Classroom. We suggest you bookmark this page for easy use.
Step 6: Read through the learning materials and complete the writing assignment by the due date. Post your assignment in your journal, carefully following directions for tagging.
Our panel of staff and Listeners will choose the top 30 most impressive applicants based on the criteria above by May 20, 2013.
Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to speak for yourself to the world and advance your dreams for social change.
|April 1, 2013||Last day to join Voices of Our Future Applicants group.|
|April 2, 2013||Application process begins; Week One Assignment Live.|
|April 8, 2013||Week One Assignment due; Week Two Assignment Live.|
|April 15, 2013||Week Two Assignment due; Week Three Assignment Live.|
|April 22,2013||Week Three Assignment due; Week Four Assignment Live.|
|April 29, 2013||Week Four Assignment due; Application process ends.|
|May 27, 2013||Correspondents announced!|
|June 17, 2013||Voices of Our Future Program begins.|
|October 14,2013||Voices of Our Future Program ends.|
We welcome women's organizations, NGOs, and other civil society groups to encourage women in your networks to apply for this exciting opportunity.
For complete rules, click here.
*Stipends will be determined based on individual need and circumstance.
For any further questions, please feel free to contact email@example.com