February 20, 2011
February 17, 2011
January 26, 2011
December 6, 2010
December 1, 2010
November 23, 2010
November 22, 2010
2010 Voices of Our Future Applicants
The application group is now closed to new members. Thank you for your interest in our program. We hope you will come back and participate next year!
Join the Revolution. YOU are a Voice of Our Future.
Welcome to the Voices of Our Future Applicants group! By joining this group, you are embarking on an exciting journey to the frontiers of new media and global womenʼs empowerment. We are thrilled you have decided to apply.
What is Voices of Our Future?
Voices of Our Future is an online training program in Web 2.0, citizen journalism, and empowerment for emerging grassroots women leaders. Thirty applicants will be selected to become Correspondents (the title we give to program participants) and take part in the full five-month long program. They will gain the tools and knowledge to amplify their voices and speak to the world; overcome barriers and challenges to achieving their dreams through empowerment coaching; and raise awareness about the real issues they, their families, and communities face through opportunities for publication on the World Pulse website, magazine and through partner media organizations.
Benefits of the program include:
- Web 2.0 and citizen journalism training via phone and Internet by renowned experts, including The Press Institute and The Op-Ed Project
- Mentoring sessions and support via phone and Internet from an Empowerment Mentor selected by the Empowerment Institute
- Opportunities for publication
- Opportunities to connect with grassroots women leaders from around the globe
- Personal development, including increased self-awareness, confidence, and empowered leadership
- Professional development, including improved Internet communication skills, writing skills, decision-making, and networking
- Nurturing and collaborative relationships with women, and our allies, across the globe
- Increased visibility and resources for issues and challenges you and/or your community face
- Technology stipend to offset communication costs*
How Do We Select Applicants?
During the course of the four-week application process, you will be given a set of learning materials through the Voices of Our Future Applicants Classroom, and asked to complete an associated writing assignment. A panel of staff and selected volunteers, called Listeners, will choose 30 applicants based on the following criteria:
- Completion of all assignments
- Expression of a positive vision for the future and solutions-oriented writing
- Commitment to promote global issues through the eyes of women
- Communication of personal experience as an underrepresented voice in your community, nation, or world; living in a developing country or conflict zone; or facing discrimination on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, race, or social class
- Demonstration of leadership on a personal, community, national, or global level
You will have the opportunity to demonstrate the above criteria through your writing assignments and through your interaction with staff, other applicants, and our online community on PulseWire. We encourage you to reach out during this process and begin (or expand!) to build your own online community and discover the amazing women who are active on PulseWire every day. Read about the women who participated in Voices of Our Future in 2009 and add them to your community!
How do I apply?
The application embodies the spirit of Web 2.0. You will need regular and reliable access to the Internet throughout the process.
Step 1: Join this group by September 14, 2010. Simply click on the orange Join button above. If you are not currently registered or logged in to World Pulse, you will be taken to the Login | Registration page. Once you have completed the registration, you will be directed back to this page, and then you can click the Join button above. This group serves as a space where you can ask questions and receive feedback and support from World Pulse staff and other applicants.
Step 2: After you click “Create New Account” a welcome e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you used to register. You MUST log into your e-mail account, open this message, and click on the link to verify your account before you can post in PulseWire.
Step 3: After you have joined this group, please read the post titled “Welcome to the Voices of Our Future Applicants Group 2010”. This post can be found under the Group Journal tab at the top of the page. Please fill out the short intake survey before September 15th (required). Then, jump in! Begin a dynamic dialogue with other women in this group and on PulseWire, build your network, and exchange stories, solutions, and information.
Step 4: From September 15th through October 13th, applicants will be given a series of four (4) assignments to complete. We will announce the link to the online classroom where you will access your learning materials and assignments in this group's journal. Look for "Application Classroom is Live" post on the right-hand side.
Step 5: Read through the learning materials and complete the writing assignment by the due date. Post your assignment in your journal, carefully following directions for tagging.
Our panel of Listeners will choose the top 30 most impressive applicants based on the criteria above by October 31st.
Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to speak for yourself to the world and advance your dreams for social change.
|September 14, 2010||Last day to join Voices of Our Future Applicants group.|
|September 15, 2010||Application process begins.|
|October 13, 2010||Application process ends.|
|October 31, 2010||Correspondents announced!|
|November 15, 2010||Voices of Our Future Program begins.|
|April 7, 2011||Voices of Our Future Program ends.|
We welcome women's organizations, NGOs, and other civil society groups to encourage women in your networks to apply for this exciting opportunity.
For complete rules, click here.
*Stipends will be determined based on individual need and circumstance.
For any further questions, please feel free to contact email@example.com