August 2, 2009
May 26, 2009
The Sri Lanka Café
WHAT THIS GROUP IS ABOUT:
With a past severed by colonial strife, ethnic tension and civil war, Sri Lanka, regarded by tourists as a beguiling tropical haven, holds a long history of rich yet complicated stories. News headlines in recent weeks have heralded the end to a quarter century of bloody conflict, leaving the subtext of hundreds of thousands of displaced people, among a host of grave issues and concerns, to be immediately addressed. To stretch the boundaries of the images and ideologies portrayed in mainstream media, The Sri Lanka Café provides a space to spotlight the unheard voices of women leaders and changemakers from Sri Lanka and all those who support them. We invite you to share your personal experiences, thoughts, and visions for the future of your country and her people.
WHERE TO START:
This group offers a collaborative and safe discussion forum for you to share your thoughts, ideas, struggles, and emotions surrounding Sri Lanka's dynamic and often paradoxical history, present and future. We invite you to speak about the issues and obstacles women are facing in your communities, and to share the solutions we are all working towards together.
The following questions can help you get started:
• What are some of your personal experiences as a woman from Sri Lanka?
• What would you like the world to know about your homeland?
• What is your vision for the future of your country?
• Do you feel you face special challenges a woman in Sri Lanka? If so, what are these challenges?
• Where are women in Sri Lanka making the most progress? What are the obstacles to this progress?
• What do you feel are the biggest misconceptions about your country?
• What can the international community do to support Sri Lanka's people?
• What are the greatest rewards in your work, and what inspires you to continue in this work?
• What advice do you have for other women embarking on a similar journey?
• Where do you see the greatest hope for your country and fellow women?
There's no right way to contribute! Use this space to share your stories, post an introduction, a photo, or information about your organization—whatever you'd like!
SPREAD THE WORD:
Encourage those around you to let their voices be heard as well! Use the "Share This" feature to invite your friends and colleagues. Be sure to check back with the group to keep the conversation going!