Offer: Calling all Poets!
World Pulse will soon be launching our new Digital Empowerment Trainer's Toolkit as a resource for our community members to use in mobilizing their own local communities online.
A key activity in this toolkit is a writing exercise offering women the opportunity to share where they come from, what they appreciate about their community, and what challenges they or others in their community may face. The exercise is the "Where I'm From" poem. Please see the sample and template at the bottom of this post.
We invite all of you to create your own "Where I'm From" poems. We will include some of your poems in the trainer's toolkit to serve as examples for all new community members introduced to World Pulse through this digital empowerment training.
To complete the "Where I'm From" please follow these steps:
- Please refer to the "Where I'm From" sample below and the "Where I'm From" poem template at the bottom of this post. (A Word version is also attached.)
- Using the template, refer to the prompts in parentheses numbered 1 through 21 to fill in each blank.
- Post your completed poem by July 17th to your World Pulse journal and tag it "Where I'm From".
Please post any questions or comments you have about the poem or the process to this journal. Thank you!
Here is an example of a "Where I'm From" poem..it's my own! I can't wait to read yours!
WHERE I’M FROM (sample)
I am from socks as dust rags,
from play houses and wasps.
I am from the valley.
I am from the scrub oak trees,
the climbing jasmine.
I am from movie nights and curly hair,
from Frank and Carmel.
From “cover your mouth” and “no.”
I am from California, Ireland, and Puerto Rico,
tostones and spaghetti.
From kids playing outside and
weekend bike rides.
From gang violence and going to school.
I am from Riverside, California,
from the City of Trees,
from the kindness of strangers.
WHERE I’M FROM (template)
I am from 1) _______________________________ (an everyday item), from
2) _________________ (an item from childhood) and 3) __________ ( an everyday item).
I am from the 4) _____________________ (description of home).
I am from the 5) _____________________ (plant or flower), the
6) ______________________ (plant, flower, or natural element).
I am from 7) _________________ (family tradition) and
8) _____________________ (family trait), from 9) _______________ (name of family member)
and 10) _________________(another family name).
From 11) ___________________ (something you were told as a child) and
12) _______________________ (something else you were told as a child).
I am from 13) ____________________ (place of birth and family ancestry),
14) _____________ and ______________ (two food items representing your family or community).
From 15) _________________________ (positive characteristic of your community) and
16) ____________________________ (another positive characteristic of your community).
From 17) _________________________________ (a challenge in your community) and
18) ______________________________________ (solution(s) to that challenge).
I am from 19) ______________________ (location of your community), from
20) _____________________ (description of your community), from
21) ___________________________ (one thing about your community that gives you hope).