Offer: WCS Global Initiatives: grants to conservation-friendly enterprises - Deadline: January 31st, 2014
The Conservation Enterprise Development Fund offers feasibility study and business planning support, technical assistance, seed grants and support in obtaining patient capital loans to conservation-friendly enterprises.
Questions? Please contact CEDF at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enterprise Eligibility: Applicants must meet the the following minimum requirements:
Enterprise operates within a WCS priority landscape or seascape (see Map of WCS landscapes and seascapes)
Development of enterprise fits within a strategic priority for WCS country program (see List of WCS country program offices)
Enterprise has a goal of generating biodiversity benefits
Enterprise generates (or has the potential to generate) community-wide benefits
Enterprise demonstrates ability to be financially self-sustaining within at least five to ten years
Application and Award Process
1. Applicants submit Expression of Interest to CEDF.
2. CEDF staff reply to all Expressions of Interest submissions and provide relevant application form based on enterprise development stage to each eligible enterprise and enterprise concept applicant.
3. Eligible applicants submit application to the CEDF Review Committee for consideration.
4. CEDF Review Committee shares submissions with the CEDF Advisory Committee and receives their feedback.
5. CEDF Review Committee awards funding and/or technical assistance support to most promising enterprises and concepts based on their expected needs and the available funding and in-kind support.
Please note that awardees receiving support in accessing external loans will then need to meet lender criteria before receiving financing.
6. CEDF staff, WCS field staff and CEDF recipient(s) sign agreement for grant/in-kind support and monitoring award.
CEDF evaluates potential investments based on the following criteria, divided into five broad categories:
Environmental and social impact
Explicit mission to support conservation
Fit with WCS conservation strategy
Mechanisms to ensure conservation outcomes
Past/current impact on biodiversity and other conservation outcomes (especially, impact on WCS priority species)
Past/current impact on community development
Potential for scaling/future impact
Sophistication of monitoring and evaluation
Value proposition of the product or service offered to consumers
Points of differentiation relative to competition
Engagement with local community
Potential for achieving meaningful scale
Degree of tension between financial goals and environmental/social goals
Strength of management team
Industry attractiveness (i.e., supplier power, buyer power, barriers to entry, competition, and substitutes)
Degree of economic and political risk
Current and projected revenue, profitability, and cash flow
Sophistication of record-keeping
Realism of assumptions
Proposed use of loan (if applicable)
Expected impact on environmental/social outcomes
Expected impact on financial performance
Ability to put additional capital to work
Ability to repay loan (if applicable)
Alternative financing options
Deadline: Expressions of Interests (EOIs) are being accepted through January 31st, 2014.