Need: Country Engagement Coordinator, Jordan - Women and Girls Lead Global media and social change initiative
ABOUT THE POSITION
ITVS (Independent Television Service) seeks to hire a Country Engagement Coordinator in Jordan to oversee in-country operations of a new global initiative that puts media and engagement to work for gender equality.
The Women and Girls Lead Global project combines high-quality documentary films, television broadcasts, strategic communication promotion, outreach tools, local content production, and facilitated film screenings and other engagement activities. The goal of the initiative is to use powerful storytelling and transmedia strategies to improve the lives of women and girls in five countries – Jordan, Kenya, Bangladesh, India, and Peru - and reduce gender inequality by helping create knowledge, attitude, behavior and policy change.
The Country Engagement Coordinator in Jordan will be one of five Engagement Coordinators working on the project; the others will be based in Kenya, India, Egypt, and Peru. The Coordinator will design, implement and manage project activities – as outlined below - in Jordan, reporting to the International Engagement Director and working with staff from lead local partners CARE, USAID and Ford Foundation, as well as building relationships with new partner NGOs on the ground.
SCOPE OF WORK
• Assess and report on in-country landscape of existing gender equality work, media, and potential partnerships with local producers and NGOs in Jordan
• Create and lead Country Steering Committees comprised of in-country staff from CARE, USAID and Ford, leading a strategic planning and an implementation process
• Work with Country Steering Committee partners to develop and create 2-3 engagement campaigns focused on selected issues and media content
• Develop with the Global Steering Committee in-country engagement and content priorities, providing context for global strategic planning
• Develop media partnerships in film, television, radio, and/or mobile content production, coordinating the cultivation and creation of local content that can support engagement, with an emphasis on female media producers
• Develop NGO partnerships to complement CARE, Ford and USAID efforts
• Organize facilitated screenings for 2-3 campaigns/year in partnership with CARE and other NGOs, including a policy event in Years Two and Three
• Widely distribute and facilitate use of engagement materials
• Act as local liaison to television broadcaster partners, helping facilitate airtimes and broadcast schedule, potential engagement partnerships, and promotional activities
• Coordinate activity with external M&E partner, when necessary
SUGGESTED POSITION REQUIREMENTS
• Jordanian national – or at least 3 years working in Jordan
• 3+ years working with media, engagement, and/or strategic communications
• 3+ years experience managing complex partnerships with NGOs
• 3+ years working in global development or community engagement
• 3+ years expertise in global NGO gender equality work, including knowledge of concepts and goals such as behavior change, gender roles, and social norms
• Experience in film or television production
• Experience developing engagement materials or curriculum
• Experience with new media, radio, and/or mobile technologies for engagement
• Experience with gender equality work
• Existing relationships with CARE, Ford Foundation, and USAID, as well as other agencies and NGOs working in development, engagement, media and/or gender equality
• Strong educational background in community development or media
• Experience and familiarity working with USAID and/or M&E partners
• Excellent sense of humor, quick-thinking, and adaptable
• Good strategic, organization, management and presentation skills
• Highly collaborative with strong leadership skills and initiative
SALARY: DOE and excellent benefits
Committed to stories and storytellers that bring missing depth, diversity, and authentic voices to mainstream television, ITVS works with a wide and growing range of global partners across civil society, government, and technology sectors to create and use media in innovative ways that engage audiences as active citizens in their communities and the world.
As the engine behind the new public media model, Women and Girls Lead (womenandgirlslead.org) and a first-to-market social screening tool now in beta development, our immediate future holds tremendous opportunities for strategic communications at the intersection of global development and digital innovation.
TO APPLY: ITVS is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Please e-mail resume and cover letter to email@example.com with COUNTRY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR-JORDAN/YOUR NAME in the subject line. No calls please.