Community Update

World Pulse Toolkits Available!

At World Pulse, we recognize the need for ongoing learning—for you and for your community! Our toolkits are all available here.

We are especially excited to share our signature Citizen Journalism and Digital Empowerment Curriculum. Start learning today!

Need: Male Women's Rights Activist in Afghanistan needs financial support for his education

Support Ali's Education

Last August, I had the pleasure to meet Ali Shahidy through World Pulse's End Violence Against Women digital action campaign. We were both contributors and volunteer listeners. Ali is a passionate male women’s rights activist in Afghanistan. I have worked with international students since 2005 and Ali is the most humble, compassionate and deserving young man I have met. Ali sacrificed his dream of attending college to support his family. He has built a comfortable life for them and now, at 24 years old, he is ready to pursue his dream. A two year search for a full scholarship brought Ali to the doorstep of Norwich University in Vermont. Their generous scholarships have brought Ali 80% of the way toward his dream. Please help us to bring him the other 20% of the way. Help us to make Ali’s dream a reality.

Ali has been the main breadwinner for his family since he was 14 years old. He is the fourth of eight children and the only one to graduate from high school. His family has faced one crisis after another and Ali has been a beacon of hope during their darkest times. His passions for social psychology and women’s rights are the result of the challenges that his family and many Afghan families face and his desire to understand the nature of social problems, find solutions and fight injustices. He is an ambitious change-maker who has already accomplished many great things.

Along with a lifelong commitment to women's rights activism, Ali aspires to be a professor and social psychologist with a focus on gender issues - a critical need in Afghanistan. There is much global sympathy for Afghan women. But in order to best serve Afghan women, more attention must be paid to Afghan men and boys. Consider these quotes from recent articles:

From Women for Afghan Women: http://www.womenforafghanwomen.org/index.php/easyblog/entry/waw-at-the-un-commission-on-the-status-of-women Women for Afghan Women participated in the fifty-seventh session of the Commission on the Status of Women at United Nations Headquarters.... Afghan community members were widely present; stating that in order for change to occur in their country, attention must also be brought to the development of boys and men.

From Foreign Policy Magazine: http://afpak.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/04/25/to_help_afghan_women_keep_sending_the_boys_to_school under conditions tantamount to patriarchal totalitarianism, the key to promoting human rights resides in the hands of Afghan men.

From Bamdad.af: http://www.bamdad.af/english/story/2285 relative to a panel discussion titled "Women in Leadership": According to the panelists, gender equality will gain momentum if Afghan women can enlist men's assistance with women's issues and work together with men in the fight for women's rights.

These are the reasons that it is important to help give young men like Ali the skills and tools to further promote women's rights. An investment in his education will help to advance women's rights in Afghanistan. It's an investment in his family and his community. And it's a reward for all the sacrifices he made and accomplishments he achieved in working toward these goals. Every small donation helps. Every tweet, Facebook post, forwarded e-mail and other efforts to spread the word are appreciated. Learn more about Ali, his story and his accomplishments by clicking on his campaign page at the link below. Please help us - to help Ali - to help Afghanistan.

Many, many thanks for your anticipated support.

Warm regards,
Kara

Ali Shahidy's World Pulse profile: http://worldpulse.com/user/14524

VISIT THE FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN AT LINK BELOW:

Downloads

Magazine »

Read global coverage through women's eyes

Letters to a Better World

Letters to a Better World

Community »

Connect with women on the ground worldwide

womenspace's picture

CAMBODIA: Ordinary Women Can Make a Difference

Campaigns »

Be heard at influential forums

WWW: Women Weave the Web

WWW: Women Weave the Web

Programs »

Help us train women citizen journalists

World Pulse Voices of Our Future

World Pulse Voices of Our Future

Partners »

Join forces with our wide network of partners

Nobel Women's Initiative

Nobel Women's Initiative