Offer: MyCOE/SERVIR Initiative in West Africa: 10-month fellowship program / Deadline: 30 April 2013
"All eligible applicants are invited to apply for the MyCOE/SERVIR Initiative in West Africa 10-month fellowship program to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies.
For this program the theme will be “Women in Climate Change and Food Security”.
The objective of this program is to include an integral educational component that reaches out to young girls in their countries, encouraged to consider careers in science. For this program English Language will be the basic requirement.
This program will advance women’s participation and contribution to Climate Change in Africa by linking three generations: pioneer female scientists/mentors, university student fellows, and young girls in middle or secondary school.
Fellow participants will receive
- Logistical support, airfare, hotel and subsistence to attend the multi-day capacity building workshop at a GIS center in the region (to be determined).
- Free training and materials in the use of geographic technologies for women in climate change and food security in the region
- A fellowship of $600 USD to be used to support your 3-6 months of research and/or field work
- Other benefits might include geospatial data, GIS software of GPS equipment, where warranted
- A formal certificate of completion from the MyCOE / SERVIR Partnership.
Applicant’s full legal name
Applicant’s contact information (nationality, address, phone numbers, etc.)
The name of the institution where applicant’s are currently enrolled
Applicant’s major program of study (e.g. geography, biology, etc.)
A summary indicating applicant’s long term career plans
A summary explaining applicant’s research proposal
A summary explaining the outreach component of applicant’ proposal
Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Contact information for applicant’s current advisor/mentor
Applicant’s advisor’s CV
Optional: A recommendation letter from Applicant’s advisor.
Eligibility & Criteria:
Upper level undergraduate or graduate students who are citizens or residents of eligible countries and who are currently enrolled in a university or academic institution in any field may apply to be MyCOE / SERVIR Fellows.
Please note that to be eligible, all participants must be citizens of one of the eligible countries AND also be studying (students) or working (mentors) and residing in the same or another of the eligible countries.
Gender of applicants or mentors is not a consideration for selection, and female and male students are encouraged to apply according to the focus of this call for participation.
For more information, visit http://www.aag.org/mycoe.servir/westafrica