Offer: HIV Prevention Advisor: Management Sciences for Health (Pretoria, South Africa) - Application Due Date: 23 April 2013
With funding from USAID, Management Sciences for Health in Southern Africa implements the Building Local Capacity for Delivery of HIV Services in Southern Africa Project (BLC) from its Pretoria, South Africa Office.
The BLC project currently operates in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa, and Swaziland, implementing a portfolio of projects clustered around four focus areas; capacity building, HIV prevention, care and support for orphans and vulnerable children, and provision of community based care.
BLC seeks to appoint an HIV Prevention Advisor and two Technical Capacity Building Advisors with a specialty in Financial Management and Global Fund Grant Management respectively. All positions are based in Pretoria, with extensive regional travel.
The objective of the HIV Prevention Advisor position is to provide cutting edge HIV prevention expertise to the BLC project and its partners.
The officer will proactively interact with and influence peers in the SADC countries to advance evidence-based HIV prevention strategies that will move the HIV epidemic towards zero infections.
1. Work with the HIV prevention advisor to develop an evidence-based BLC HIV prevention strategy and plan addressing individual SADC region country-specific epidemics.
2. Provide technical expertise in the development and management of the HIV prevention program; i.e., work planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation in conformity with the project performance measurement plan (PMP)
3. Build capacity of implementing organizations to deliver high impact HIV prevention
interventions and create synergies between them to establish a combination HIV
4. Be a technical resource in HIV prevention for all BLC programs
5. Conduct and/or participate in operations research to generate evidence for effective
implementation of combination HIV prevention interventions and move the HIV
incidence towards zero infections.
6. Provide technical inputs into the MSH BLC monitoring and evaluation system; utilize information for decision-making; and ensure timely reporting
7. Conduct evidence-based advocacy with governments, SADC, and donor community to influence HIV prevention programming locally and internationally.
8. Document and communicate lessons and best practices in local and international forums
Master’s in Public health or /Post graduate degree in Health education and/or social Sciences degree with at least 5 years’ experience in implementation of HIV prevention programs
Dynamic and motivated individual with significant understanding of HIV and AIDS in the Southern African region
Extensive experience in implementation of HIV prevention interventions,
especially bio-medical and social and behaviour change interventions, including sexual and reproductive health and HIV, or other related programs in sub-Saharan Africa
Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the development and facilitation of outcomes based training curricula and facilitating participatory training in the social services sector.
Ability to travel in the Southern African region
Ability to use standard computer and software applications: Advanced MS Word, Advanced Power Point.
Good interpersonal and relationship-building competencies coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in written/spoken English required. Fluency in Portuguese, Spanish , or other major language desirable