Offer: Call for Nominations - 2013 Mario Savio Young Activist Award (Deadline to apply: 1 July 2013)
The board of directors of the Mario Savio Memorial Lecture & Young Activist Award invites you to nominate a candidate for the 16th annual young activist award. The award this year carries a cash prize of $6000, divided equally between the prize-winner and his or her organization.
This award is presented to a young person (or persons) with a deep commitment to human rights and social justice and a proven ability to transform this commitment into effective action. The nominees should have demonstrated leadership ability, creativity and integrity.
Specific eligibility requirements are:
- Between ages 18-26 as of 9/1/2013
- Engaged in activism for social change in the United States, promoting the values of peace, human rights, economic or social justice, or freedom of expression;
- Acting within the context of an organization, social movement, or larger community effort;
- Considered an inspirational leader or motivating force by others in that context;
- Able to attend award ceremony in Berkeley, CA (Oct.- Nov.; expenses paid).
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not yet been widely recognized and who do not have personal privilege or a strong institutional base of support.
This award honors the late Mario Savio (1942-1996), who came to national prominence as a spokesperson for the Berkeley Free Speech Movement in 1964. His moral clarity, his eloquence, and his democratic style of leadership impelled thousands of his fellow Berkeley students to struggle for, and win, more political freedom, inspiring a generation of student activism. Savio remained a lifelong fighter for human rights and social justice.
NOMINATIONS ARE DUE BY JULY 1, 2013.
Nomination forms and additional information are available at this link or email: savio(at)sonic(dot)net