Offer: Job: Gender Program Advisor, CARE: Atlanta, GA USA
CARE is seeking a talented Gender Program Advisor. As part of a dynamic team dedicated to gender and empowerment programming, this individual will foster lasting change in country offices, regional management units’, and headquarters’ technical teams’ strategies and practices to promote girls’ and women’s leadership and empowerment, and the engagement of men and boys to advance gender equality. S/he provides technical guidance and leadership to initiatives aiming to prevent or respond to Gender Based Violence. S/he promotes such changes through consultation, negotiation, influencing, and direct support to CARE staff including Deputy Regional Directors for Program Quality, Assistant Country Directors for Program, project managers and headquarters staff.
- Provide global guidance and support to the implementation of gender transformative programming for multi-country food justice and livelihoods program;
- Enhance CARE and partner capacity for gender-transformative program strategies in multi-sectoral programs;
- Enhance organizational learning;
- Represent CARE externally and engage in advocacy;
- Support fundraising efforts (proposal development and capacity building for fundraising teams).
- Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences such as International development, foreign policy, public health, gender studies;
- 5-7 years of experience in international development;
- 2-3 years of experience in gender program initiatives such as gender training, facilitation, research and/or program implementation and evaluation;
- At least 2 years of experience working in a developing country;
- At least 1 year of experience in programming to prevent or respond to gender based violence and/or ending child marriage;
- Demonstrated conceptual and practical knowledge of gender issues, focusing on the analysis and understanding underlying causes of gender inequality, practice of promoting girls and women’s leadership and empowerment, behavior and social change processes for gender norms including masculinities and femininities, and integrating such practices into multi-sectoral programs;
- Effective communications skills and ability to network, build relationships and establish collaboration with different partners and agencies, ability to link with community activists and social movements;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams;
- Ability to work independently.
- Master’s Degree in Social sciences, preferably with academic emphasis in gender studies;
- Other formal training in gender studies, women’s studies or a research focus on issues related to the job;
- Experience in implementing and/or planning and evaluating gender in food security, household livelihoods, micro credit, or agriculture;
- Experience in implementing gender transformative programming with men and/or boys;
- Experience in facilitating, managing, or providing technical assistance to GBV prevention and / or response programs;
- Experience in working with social movements, community activism and advocacy;
- Fluency in French and English; working knowledge of Portuguese or Swahili a plus;
- Knowledge of donors’ gender strategies;
- Has own network of strategic partnerships.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
*For U.S.-based positions, applicants who are not currently employed by CARE must be U.S. citizens or authorized to work in the United States.