Community Update

World Pulse Toolkits Available!

At World Pulse, we recognize the need for ongoing learning—for you and for your community! Our toolkits are all available here.

We are especially excited to share our signature Citizen Journalism and Digital Empowerment Curriculum. Start learning today!

Need: Work visa / non-immigrant information

I am seeking guidance on attaining work visas for citizens of other countries to travel to the USA as representatives of their own country. They would be hosted by staff here, and offered a 3 month opportunity to educate, train and inspire our American teens with lessons on their culture, language lessons, religious myths and misperceptions, areas of need and more.
Can anyone assist with information and guidance on the process, procedure, cost and potential obstacles?
Thank you,


mrbeckbeck's picture

Great question

Hi Kimmie,
I'm not a professional in this realm and don't have first hand experience, but I took a look at the US Department of State website about different types of Visas (, and it seems that your exchange participants would need a Q-1 Visa for "Cultural Exchange".

This page also has some questions and answers that might help you. I will see if I can find any members who might have experience in this realm and connect them to you, but I hope this helps get you started!

I'd love to hear more about your idea too. Inter-cultural exchange is such a valuable experience for all involved!


Scott Beck
World Pulse Online Community Manager

KimmieJean's picture

To Scott

Thank you for this information, and the links. I am finding the information very helpful.

Thank you for your support - stay tuned to Spark 540° for updates on our endeavors!

Much information is on our Facebook page Spark FiveForty and Spark540.

We are a non profit working with US teens - educating, enlightening and inspiring them to learn more about global issues facing our brothers and sisters around the world.

Thank YOU!

Kim Ayers
Founder, Spark 540°

~Kimmie Jean, Spark 540°
Twitter: spark_540

KimmieJean's picture

Scott (again)

And of course

~Kimmie Jean, Spark 540°
Twitter: spark_540

Eurekafilipina's picture

Greetings from the

Greetings from the Philippines, Kimmie! :-)

those from the philippines can get their work/non-immigrant visa from the US Embassy in Manila... website: the information needed to get a visa are all there. i hope this helps...

by the way, what are the qualifications for one to be selected as a country representative for that work opportunity? i am interested to be such, that is, if i meet the qualifications. i have a 10-year, multi-entry non-immigrant US visa, and it would be a priceless opportunity for me to be sharing to American teens what we have here in the Philippines. I am presently a coordinator of one youth organization..and my passion is helping people, in whatever way i can.

i hope to hear from you about this... you may contact me through my email address,, mobile phone number: 063 9277559972, home phone: 063 88 8588115, workphone: 063 88 8586790

take care,




hey scott

hello scott i hope u are fine like i wish to you every day so i want to ask about transport and travelling in different country so what some one want to look for USA visa what he can do so as you know here we are the member of worldpulse may we wish to visit our friends who are in america and in others country in the world what are criteria to be selected in the among people who ask for that teens visa thanks


KimmieJean's picture

visas for travel to USA

Hello again.

It's been a year since I began my quest to bring a person from Senegal, West Africa to the USA. We were not successful in bringing this man to the USA, however we have learned a lot about the process and are taking steps that will enable our nonprofit organization to not only bring potential staff and volunteers from other countries, but would allow us to bring students to the USA as part of a cultural exchange as well.
This process will take more time (goal is 2015) as we strive to become a recognized cultural exchange program through the state department.

Masoso, the visa process varies in each country. The USA is strict with regulations due to so many visitors breaking their visa terms and remaining in the USA illegally.

The top considerations for visa approval to enter the USA are:
1. Ties to your own country. Examples: you own property, are married, have children, have a professional job etc.
2. You have money in a bank in your own country. This shows you are financially stable.
3. You have attended university in your own country and seek to advance your education in the USA.
4. You have a specific skill for employment in the USA that a person from the USA has not been found to fill the need.
5. You are a minor (under age 18) and a student participating in a recognized cultural exchange program.

There are always people who are approved without any of the above conditions, but generally one will be thoroughly screened for acceptance.

I hope this helps!


~Kimmie Jean, Spark 540°
Twitter: spark_540

Magazine »

Read global coverage through women's eyes

Letters to a Better World

Letters to a Better World

Community »

Connect with women on the ground worldwide

womenspace's picture

CAMBODIA: Ordinary Women Can Make a Difference

Campaigns »

Be heard at influential forums

WWW: Women Weave the Web

WWW: Women Weave the Web

Programs »

Help us train women citizen journalists

World Pulse Voices of Our Future

World Pulse Voices of Our Future

Partners »

Join forces with our wide network of partners

Nobel Women's Initiative

Nobel Women's Initiative