Offer: Women in Public Service (open to women leaders worldwide) - Travel, accommodation, meals are covered
The Women in Public Service Institute at Bryn Mawr is a two-week program for emerging women leaders from post-conflict countries around the world organized by Bryn Mawr College and co-sponsored by Bryn Mawr, the U.S. State Department, and The Wilson Center as part of the Women in Public Service Project (WPSP).
The Institute takes place from July 7-19, 2013. Through a competitive application process, up to 60 emerging women leaders from around the world will join together for an intensive, interactive Institute.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2013
- Participation at the Bryn Mawr Institute is open to emerging women leaders who are already serving in different fields of public service and/or political or elected office, and those who are currently in the NGO sector and aspire to roles in government.
- Early to mid-career women who are nationals of a post-conflict or transitional country are welcome to apply. Applicants must be fluent in English.
- Special Iftar and Suhur arrangements will be available to our delegates who observe the Ramadan fast.
Participants at the Institute will benefit from exchange of experiences and expertise, peer-to-peer mentoring and networking, and the collaborative development of an analytical understanding of post-conflict issues. Leadership development and capacity building will focus on the particulars of post-conflict environments. Exploration of the challenges that face women in public leadership will run throughout the Institute.
Topics the Institute will cover in its curriculum include:
- negotiation and mediation
- truth, reconciliation, and justice
- the intersection of conflict resolution and social and economic development
- organizing and communicating
- overcoming gender-based violence
- building democratic and inclusive laws, policies, and governance
Travel, accommodation in Bryn Mawr College residence halls, and meals for the duration of the Institute will be covered by the Institute organizers. Participants are responsible for obtaining and paying for their own visa. The Institute will assist with the visa process by providing required letters.
Where is Bryn Mawr College?
The College is located in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, a lively small town (pop. 9,000) on Philadelphia's Main Line, a region known for rolling hills, majestic estates, and a remarkable collection of colleges and universities. Bryn Mawr is 20 minutes by commuter train to Philadelphia, the fifth largest city in the United States.
Philadelphia, in the Northeast U.S., is just two hours away form Washington, DC and New York City, by bus or train.
For further information, contact Jessica Berns, Institute Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.