Offer: Job: Regional Communications Officer, Equality Now. Nairobi, Kenya.
Open until filled.
Equality Now, an international human rights organization dedicated to ending violence and discrimination against women globally, is seeking to recruit a Regional Communication/Media Officer to assist the Equality Now, Nairobi Office to increase the visibility of the African regional campaign to accelerate the elimination of Female Genital Mutilation at the national, regional and international level. The Officer will report directly to the Nairobi Office Director.
- Within the framework of the program to end FGM, develop and implement a communications and information strategy to increase the visibility of the issue of FGM and the African regional efforts to combat it at the national, regional and international level;
- Develop a comprehensive regional press lists (journalists and media houses) and contacts including relevant government departments (e.g. communication, gender and education departments), charities, women’s groups, pressure groups, youth organizations, religious organizations and promote awareness and information on FGM;
- Use social media, e.g. Twitter, Facebook etc to get messages on FGM across to a wide variety of audience;
- Create an early warning monitoring system to track and monitor FGM abuses in the African region;
- Generate advocacy action plans for Women’s Action campaigns on FGM;
- Research, interview, write, edit, proofread and distribute a monthly bulletin on FGM;
- Organize special advocacy events on FGM, prepare and review articles, write Op-Ed, press releases, memorandums as well as marketing materials on FGM;
- Participate and/or facilitate training and workshops on FGM as appropriate;
- Conduct periodic member surveys utilizing web-based tool;
- Assist other staff of Equality Now as required;
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree preferably in Development Studies/Communications/Journalism or equivalent;
- At least 5 years working experience, including experience working with international organizations and networking;
- Must demonstrate superior verbal and written communication skills in English; knowledge of French is highly desirable;
- Must be an effective and creative researcher and storyteller, with experience addressing different audiences across multiple mediums and platforms;
- Must exhibit proficiency with electronic communication, computing, communication and networking software, list serves, the internet and social media;
- Experience with planning, writing, editing, producing and distributing newsletters, press releases, media advisories, letters to the editor and other print publications as well as experience with media outreach;
- Previous experience with special events and conducting workshops;
- Independent, pro-active and self-motivated with the ability to multi-task effectively;
- Commitment to teamwork and collaborative work practices.
All applications must include three writing samples:
- One page informal, such as a blog post or email alert;
- One page sample that is marketing-oriented in tone and style, such as an editorial or press release;
- One page sample that is a longer-form narrative piece on a specific subject.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open until filled.