Offer: Annual Innovative Solutions Competition by Gauteng (Closes 31 Oct 2012)
Gauteng Innovation Competition
R1 million prize money
Closing date 31 October 2012
New competition launch
The Gauteng Innovation Competition, an annual contest that seeks innovative solutions in mobile and green technologies, is open and awaiting your entries. The competition is one of the Gauteng Innovation Strategy's initiatives directed at addressing efficiency of government service delivery by encouraging innovation in the mobile and green technology sectors.
In the first implementation of the competition, we received more than 130 entries. With your help, we hope to make this, the second implementation of the competition, even more successful than the first. The competition has two themes of mobile and green technology, each with its own key focus areas.
Mobile focus areas
* Citizen participation: How can mobile phones be used to enhance government-citizen interaction?
* Transport and traffic management: Can mobiles reduce congestion and improve public transport?
* Community safety: Do you have an app idea for a safer, more secure society?
Green focus areas
* Waste to energy: How can municipal waste be converted to energy?
* Energy efficiency: Do you have an idea to reduce municipal energy requirements?
* Solar energy: How can cities harness solar energy cost effectively?
* Water management: How can the province conserve scarce water resources?
Note that the competition is only open to individuals, small teams and business entities in South Africa and judging will be weighted in favour of entrants based in the Gauteng province.
The Gauteng Innovation Competition is an initiative of The Innovation Hub, a subsidiary of the Gauteng Growth and Development Agency, under the Gauteng Department of Economic Development.