Offer: Call for Applications: International Health Reporting Network (Deadline: September 5, 2012)
Women Journalists Sought for International Health Reporting Network
The Population Reference Bureau (PRB) in Washington, D.C., is inviting senior-level women journalists from developing countries to apply to its Women’s Edition program. Up to 15 women journalists from the print, electronic, and broadcast media will be selected to become part of this international network of leading editors, reporters, and producers interested in women’s health and development.
Through seminars and study tours, the project provides the journalists with the latest information on reproductive health and development issues, including family planning and safe motherhood, so they can better cover these topics. Participants will attend seminars and study tours around the world. PRB covers travel and other seminar-related expenses. Journalists may write or broadcast in any language, but they must be able to communicate comfortably and effectively in English.
The deadline for applications is September 5, 2012. Participants are selected on a competitive basis. For more information about the program, requirements for applying, and the application form, click here.
Who Should Apply?
Intrepid women journalists who:
- Hold influential editorial positions—senior-level editors, reporters, and producers—with leading media outlets that have large audiences, such as national and regional newspapers, magazines, and television and radio stations. Freelancers and bloggers can apply but must provide a letter of support from a news organization indicating that it will publish or broadcast their work.
- Reside in a country that receives USAID funding for family planning.*
- Demonstrate interest in women's health, development, and population issues and a commitment to covering these topics.
- Can communicate comfortably and effectively in English during the seminars, though they may write or broadcast in any language.
* Priority will be given to journalists from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Haiti, India, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Rwanda, Senegal, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Yemen.
PRB will cover all seminar expenses, including travel, lodging, and meals.
Applications must be received at PRB by Sept. 5, 2012. Participants will be notified by Sept. 14, 2012. Those selected will be asked to submit a letter from their managing editor or director in support of their participation in Women's Edition.
Participation includes commitments to:
- Participate in the seminars.
- Publish or produce at least one special report, series of articles, or broadcast program after each seminar on the issues explored in the seminar.
- Send to PRB copies of each supplement, series of articles, or broadcast program immediately after its publication or broadcast.