Offer: 2012 Voices of Courage Call for Nominations
Voices of Courage Awards 2012 “Displaced Adolescent Girls”
Accepting Nominations for Honorees
Deadline: October 31, 2011
Each year, the Women’s Refugee Commission honors individual refugee, internally displaced, asylum-seeking and resettled women and young people who are working on behalf of their peers. We are now seeking candidates to be honored at our Voices of Courage Awards luncheon on May 1, 2012.
In 2012, we will honor refugee, internally displaced, asylum-seeking or resettled women or youth who are developing or leading programs that benefit displaced or asylum-seeking adolescent girls. Whether in their homes or in displaced communities, inequitable social norms make it particularly difficult for adolescent girls to realize their rights to education and decent work and to protect themselves from psychological and bodily harm. Many girls lack opportunities to build the self-confidence and negotiation skills necessary to assert themselves and make decisions critical for their futures. They need social support, knowledge and resources to reduce their vulnerability to early and forced marriage, early pregnancy, exploitative work and physical and sexual assault.
In crisis and post-crisis settings, the risks to girls’ well-being, safety and personal development are even greater as their family and peer networks often become severely fragmented. Working with displaced adolescent girls to build their knowledge, resources, decision-making power and social connectedness can help them develop and protect themselves, setting a more positive course for their adult lives.
The Women’s Refugee Commission wishes to recognize outstanding individuals supporting this often-neglected population. Some examples of projects honorees might be undertaking:
• Developing and supporting girls’ clubs and peer networks that build girls confidence and self-esteem
• Providing safe spaces where girls access mentorship and social support to facilitate their attendance and retention in school
• Building girls' job-readiness, vocational or entrepreneurship skills
• Developing girls' financial literacy and establishing girls’ savings groups
• Working with boys to protect and end violence against girls
• Providing sexual and reproductive health information and education to girls
• Providing sexual and reproductive health services for girls
• Your nominee’s project here!
Two refugee, internally displaced, asylum-seeking or resettled women or young people (up to age 30) will be selected to receive the Voices of Courage Award. The 2012 Voices of Courage honorees’ organizations will each receive a $5,000 grant from the Women’s Refugee Commission to further their critical work to benefit displaced people in their communities. We will feature descriptions of the honorees’ programs in our luncheon journal.
• Candidates may live in the United States or overseas.
• Candidates should be current or former refugees, internally displaced women or young people or asylum-seekers who have developed or implemented successful programs that serve people displaced by conflict or seeking asylum in urban areas.
• Candidates should be passionate advocates for improving the lives and protecting the rights of refugee, internally displaced or asylum-seeking adolescent girls.
• Candidates must be able to travel to New York for a week in May (the luncheon is Tuesday, May 1, 2012) to accept their award (all travel and housing expenses will be paid).
• Candidates must be willing to participate in media interviews.
• The ability to speak English is preferred.
To nominate a candidate for a Voices of Courage award, please send: 1) a letter of nomination that details the program and tells the story of the nominee; 2) the curriculum vitae, résumé or biography of the nominee; and 3) the names and email/phone/fax of three references. If you email your nomination, please include all the information in a single attachment or include it in the body of the email. Include the name of the nominee in the subject of the email. Please do not send any additional materials (photos, etc.) as they will not be considered.
Please email your nomination by October 31, 2011 to: email@example.com. You may also fax the nomination to +1.212.551.3180 or mail to: Women’s Refugee Commission, Attn: Voices of Courage Nominees, 122 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10168-1289, USA.
PLEASE NOTE: We can only consider nominations that are written in English.
Thank you for your help. For more information on the luncheon, contact us at the above address.