Offer: Communications Specialist /Science writer
If you can take over and develop a programme of scientific communication for an international research and development centre, then you are the person we are looking for.
Working with an expert communications team, this position offers an exciting opportunity to collaborate with preeminent scientists in the area of agroforestry to make the impact of their work known throughout the world. The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya, and may require occasional travel to international locations.
You will guide our communications work in the following ways:
• Identify high-interest stories from the work of the World Agroforestry Centre and its collaborators, write stories in a range of styles and disseminate them through suitable channels.
• Manage the news content of the Centre’s website and contribute to social media activities, especially in actively running the institutional blog.
• Assist the research programmes and regions to develop and implement communication plans to complement their research activities.
• Work to have Centre research and impact featured in the international media.
• Collaborate with other CGIAR research centres and partners in communications activities.
• Edit and produce a two-monthly e-newsletter featuring stories on Centre research and other initiatives.
• Help to maintain the highest standards for the centre’s publications and website materials.
• Prepare articles and submissions for media outlets, CGIAR communications and other avenues
• Assist in providing review and editorial assistance for Centre documents and materials.
• Mentor regional office and junior communications staff and supervise consultants and interns.
• Delegate for the Head of Communications.
The successful applicant will have:
• An MSc in agroforestry, agriculture, communications or related subject.
• Minimum experience of five (5) years in a similar position, preferably in an international organization.
• Experience in developing compelling stories from research papers and interaction with scientists.
• Experience in engaging the international media in the communication of research impact.
• Flawless English language, writing and grammatical skills.
• Expert knowledge of the Microsoft suite, with knowledge of Photoshop.
• Experience in developing and maintaining web and social media sites.
Terms of offer
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on international terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, subject to a nine (9) months probation period.
How to apply
• A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position, and your salary expectations.
• A detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
• Several articles you have written and URLs of websites you work on.
• The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone numbers and email addresses, and fax details if available.
: The Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), PO Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya OR send via email to: email@example.com. Indicate “Application for Communications Specialist/Science Writer” on the application letter. Applications will be considered until 9 November 2011 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
To learn more about us, visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
The World Agroforestry Centre is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.