Need: Volunteers Needed for Sexual Assault work with Congolese refugees
Summary: Rape in the Congo is tragically high.
Volunteers Needed for Sexual Assault work with Congolese refugees: educating community; help create support groups & do trauma counseling.
SEXUAL VIOLENCE IN THE CONGO
Trust Law ranks the Congo as one of the most dangerous countries for sexual violence.
From 2006-07, rape occurred in Congo at a rate equal to 48 rapes an hour (420,000 rapes a year).*
RAPE HITS AT HOME
Rape is not only used as a weapon of war. 22.5% were raped by husbands or partners.
Wives may be kicked out of their home after being raped by a stranger
because the husband does not want other men to laugh at him for having a "defiled" wife.
WHAT IS NGOABROAD DOING?
NGOabroad enlists people with skills and experience with sexual assault to help in our Congolese refugee community.
We do not work directly in the Congo but with people who have fled the Congo to Uganda.
Founded by a social worker, NGOabroad makes it possible for extraordinary citizens to do amazing international
development on a voluntary basis.
1. Work with the men to shift attitudes towards women.
2. Work with women to remove shame. Empower women.
3. Educate the community about sexual and domestic violence.
4. Build support groups for women.
5. Build community's leadership skills to continue support groups.
6. When requested, do trauma counseling using modalities other than talk therapy
such as dance, drumming, drama, and music.
1. Immense amount of cultural sensitivity
so you can ascertain the community's cultural beliefs and values and work in sync with them.
2. We need people that are so well-versed and skilled with sexual assault/ gender based violence
that you can transcend dogmas and find universal interventions.
3. It is likely that you can not directly transplant what you do at home.
We need highly creative people interested in this challenge.
4. We need both women and men.
5. Ability to speak French is a plus but most Congolese can now speak English.
These are volunteer positions. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. No end date.
Currently accepting applications for Oct, Nov, Dec 2011 and 2012.
Spend your winter in the tropics! (but we welcome your help any time of year!)
Interested? Please read the NGOabroad website
then answer Questionnaire and embed with resume in email to info@NGOabroad.com
NGOabroad is a unique service that harnesses needed skills to human challenges in Africa, Asia & South America.