Offer: Call for Nominations: The Samir Kassir Award For Freedom Of The Press 2011
Samir Kassir has paid with his life in his fight for democracy and Lebanon's sovereignty, and he remains an example for his entire profession. By organising this competition, the European Union salutes, through the name of Samir Kassir, the efforts and courage of all the journalists in the region who, sometimes by risking their lives, are committed to human rights, the rule of law and democracy. Deadline for applications: March 30, 2011.
Two awards will be granted:
* Best opinion article
* Best investigative reporting article
1. The contest is open to all journalists of the written press (daily, weekly, monthly and online press), regardless of age, who are citizens of the following countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Occupied Palestinian Territory, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
2. Applicants must submit an opinion article OR an investigative article related to the rule of law or human rights (good governance, fight against corruption, freedom of expression, etc.).
3. The article must have been published in a media of one of the countries listed above or one of the European Union Member States.
4. The submitted articles must not exceed 25,000 signs and must have been published between 15 March 2010 and 15 March 2011.
5. Candidates can only apply for one category and on an individual basis (jointly-produced works will not be accepted).
6. The winner of each of the two categories will be awarded € 10,000.
7. The European Union may reproduce and publish the awarded article or report in its own publications (non-commercial) and in other publications related to the "Samir Kassir Award for Freedom of the Press".
8. The jury members, staff of the European Union and staff of Median are excluded from the contest.