Offer: Job: Gender Program Advisor / CARE - Accra, Johannesburg, or Nairobi
CARE USA. Location: Accra, Johannesburg, or Nairobi.
CARE USA is strategically engaged in empowering women and generating positive impact in girls’ and women’s lives. The benefits of gender equity and women empowerment extend across all the components of development and poverty reduction. Throughout its programs CARE wants to:
* Embed gender as a more systematic approach to CARE’s situational analysis, working with impact groups to understand the impact and issues of gender;
* Integrate gender strategies into CARE’s programs, maximizing impact of CARE’s programs related to gender transformational strategies, and anticipating and minimizing potentially harms or opportunity costs.
* Leverage learning from a recent strategic impact inquiry on women’s empowerment in programs, promoting girls’ and women’s empowerment and leadership;
* Address and prevent gender-based discrimination and violence in any CARE program setting
* Address attitudes, behaviors and norms related to gender inequalities, including issues of masculinity, proactively engaging boys and men in social change processes.
CARE USA is seeking an experienced Gender Program Advisor to lead and foster lasting change in CO/RMU and PQI technical units’ strategies and practices to promote girls’ and women’s leadership and empowerment. S/he promotes such changes through consultation, negotiation, influencing, and direct support to CARE staff including Deputy Regional Directors for Program Quality, Assistant Country Directors for Program, project managers and PQI staff. His/Her responsibilities are to:
* Strengthen CARE’s and partners’ capacities to plan, implement and evaluate programs with gender transformational strategies; provide technical assistance to COs and RMUs and PQI units
* Enhance organizational learning on gender
* Enhance quality in CARE’s programs in addressing gender inequalities and promoting positive social change, in collaboration with partners.
* Represent CARE externally, engage in regional and global gender networks, engage in advocacy
* Contribute to resource development for gender programming.
CARE USA Gender Program Advisor will primarily provide support to regional strategies and programs and to CARE Cos in Africa. S/he will report to CARE USA’s Director for Gender.
Duration: Full time
Location: Accra, Johannesburg or Nairobi
Expected Start Date: March 2011
Expected Travel Percentage: 30%
Language Requirement: Fluency in French and English; working knowledge of Portuguese or Swahili a plus
* Enhance CARE and partner capacity for gender-transformative program strategies in multi-sectoral programs.
* Support Resource Development for Gender-related programming and support
* Enhance organizational learning
* Support program documentation including measures of results and impact
* Represent CARE externally and engage in advocacy
* Other duties as assigned
* Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences such as International development, foreign policy, public health, gender studies
* 5-7 years of experience in international development
* 2-3 years of experience in gender program initiatives such as gender training, facilitation, research and/or program implementation and evaluation
* At least 2 years of experience working in Africa
* Extensive demonstrated conceptual and practical knowledge of gender issues, focusing on the analysis and understanding underlying causes of gender inequality, practice of promoting girls and women’s leadership and empowerment, behavior and social change processes for gender norms including masculinities and femininities, and integrating such practices into multi-sectoral programs
* Effective communications skills and ability to network, build relationships and establish collaboration with different partners and agencies, ability to link with community activists and social movements;
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams
* Ability to work independently
* Process facilitation skills, negotiation, influencing skills
* Presentation skills; expository writing and speaking
* Proposal development and writing skills on gender issues
* Program assessment, design, monitoring and evaluation skills
* Master’s Degree in Social sciences, preferably with academic emphasis in gender studies
* Other formal training in gender studies, women’s studies or a research focus on issues related to the job.
* Experience in implementing and/or planning and evaluating gender in food security, household livelihoods, micro credit, or agriculture.
* Experience in implementing gender transformative programming with men and/or boys.
* Experience in facilitating, managing, or providing technical assistance to GBV prevention and / or response programs
* Experience in working with social movements, community activism and advocacy.
* Knowledge of donors’ gender strategies;
* Has own network of strategic partnerships;
* Qualitative and/or quantitative gender research methods.
Please apply online at: https://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CAREUSA&cws=1&...
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.