Offer: Consultant: Programme Associate, Global Programme Safe Cities Free of Violence Against Women and Girls
Consultant: Programme Associate Global Programme Safe Cities Free of Violence Against Women and Girls
UN Women. New York, NY, USA.
Closing date: February 11, 2011.
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
Ending violence against women is receiving increased attention from governments, civil society, donors and the UN system. This is an encouraging indication that this universal human rights violation is increasingly receiving the concern and support it merits. In response, the Global Safe Cities Free of Violence against Women and Girls Programme was initiated at UN Women Headquarters which was recently launched in New Delhi on November 22nd 2010. As the programme begins the next development phase, working in five pilot countries, with numerous global, UN, and implementing NGO and research partners, a Programme Associate is needed to support these processes in order to ensure effective delivery of this flagship initiative.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the close supervision of the Safe Cities Programme Manager, the Programme Associate will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Budget and Finance:
* Prepare programme budgets and financial data (allocations and expenditures) in ATLAS and undertake budget revisions, including mandatory budget revision, as necessary for relevant programme budgets as well as tracking of expenditures and commitments on a monthly basis;
* Support the day-to-day budget management of the Safe Cities Global Programme— including liaising with sub-regional and country offices who are implementing the programme, as well as with institutional partners and consultants and ensuring targets are met for delivery. Provide quarterly updates for Programme Manager.
Administration and Operations:
* Prepare various procurement and administrative requests as required, including requests for SSA contract, Travel Authorizations , hotel reservations and Visa Requests, Travel Claim Settlements, requests for bids and quotes, sub-contracts, implementing partner agreements, payment requests and processing of invoices, etc. and follow-up as necessary. In the case of travel authorizations for consultants, follow up with correspondence with consultants and meeting/workshop participants to facilitate travel;
* Update internal working calendar throughout the year;
* Place main documents on Intranet and ensure timely update (monthly);
* Update documents on the Safe Cities online global platform as necessary;
* Organize and maintain project files and filling system- both electronic and paper- for easy retrieval of correspondence and other documents;
* Maintain formal files in accordance with UN Women requirements;
* Initiate and organize the formatting, printing and distribution of Safe Cities Global Programme promotional materials throughout the UN and follow up on the process;
* Assist in collecting and submitting timesheets for the Safe Cities team;
* Ensure that new consultants are familiar with all relevant forms and UN Women rules and regulations as applied to their contracts;
* Compile and maintain leave and mission plans;
* Ensure that all processes and policies are adhered to in a timely and proper way.
Planning and Communications:
* Liaise with Operations and Programme Management Section, Finance Section, and Human Resources Section as required to ensure smooth delivery of the programme;
* Initiate replies, draft correspondences on routine administrative matters;
* Review, edit and finalize written and electronic correspondence and reports, including Mission Reports, Minutes of meetings, Safe Cities products and documents, etc.;
* Serve as a liaison between operating units in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational problems;
* Provide basic UN Women orientation and ensure timely assignment of UN Women email accounts to new consultants and staff members.
Meetings and Travel:
* Coordinate logistics and administration of workshops, conference, and other events such as the Safe Cities Global Technical Meeting in Cairo in the first half of 2011, which includes: arranging all required travel, contracts, visas, hotel, conference rooms and DSA; ensure all materials, documents and technology are ready and available; maintain ongoing communication with all participants, partners, consultants, other UN agencies, involved in the event;
* Organize teleconferences and book conference rooms for Safe Cities meetings and take minutes of such meetings;
* Support Safe Cities team with timely filing of F-10 forms;
* Compile travel and mission plans for Safe Cities team members;
* Ensure travel arrangements, work space, and other needs for visiting consultants.
Other Tasks and Functions:
* Provide and any technical, administrative, operations, or other support to the Safe Cities team as maybe requested by the Programme Manager.
* Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
* Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents.
* Organizational Awareness: Building support and political acumen.
* Developing and Empowering People / coaching and mentoring : Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation.
* Working in Teams: Building and promoting effective teams.
* Communicating Information and Ideas: Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication.
* Self-management and Emotional intelligence: Creating an emotionally intelligent organization.
* Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements: Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards.
* Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning: Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
* Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair and transparent decision-making; calculated risk-taking
* Excellent financial management and/or accounting
* Excellent knowledge of programme budget management
* Working knowledge of the UN system, UN Women or UNDP, and specifically, ATLAS system
* Excellent organizational skills and sound judgment
* Excellent Computer skills: Excel, Work, Power Point, ERP/IMIS
* Good writing skills
* Knowledge of and Experience with Results Based Management
* Strong interpersonal skills, especially in multi-cultural environment
* Proactively looking for solutions
* Consistently approaches work with integrity, energy and a positive, constructive attitude
* Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
* Analytical and problem solving skills
* Strong ability to take initiative and work independently
Required Skills and Experience:
* BA in finance, management, organizational development or other relevant field
* At least 3 years of relevant experience, preferably within UN system
* Excellent command of English
Pleas apply online at: http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?job_id=21498
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Application Deadline: 11 February 2011.