Offer: Program Associate, UN Women, Afghanistan
UN Women. Afghanistan.
Closing date: February 3, 2011.
Location: Kabul, Parwan, Mazar, Bamyan, Jalalabad and Herat, Afghanistan
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-3
Languages Required: English
Expected Duration of Assignment: 31 Dec 2011 (with possibility of extension)
UN Women is dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s human rights in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of UN Women are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners.
The Gender and Justice Program works with the Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MoWA) to strengthen its capacity to develop an enabling environment to implement the National Action Plan for the Women of Afghanistan (NAPWA) and the Afghanistan National Development Strategy (ANDS) in the areas of legal protection, rule of law and women’s human rights. The Program’s work builds on partnerships developed with MoWA, other line ministries, local government entities in the justice, interior, social protection and health sectors, NGOs and community based groups to strengthen legal protection mechanisms that are socially and culturally sensitive to Afghanistan’s context.
The Programme Associate will be employed by UN Women to be seconded to Department of Women's Affairs (DoWA) and will be based in the provincial DoWAs where the project will be implemented (Kabul, Parwan, Balkh, Bamyan, Jalalabad and Herat provinces). Under direct supervision of the National Technical Advisor, the Programme Associate is responsible for executing all project activities and ensure successful outputs at the provincial level of the Support to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan through the EVAW Commission to implement the EVAW Law project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Overall coordination and support to the provincial DoWA and EVAW Commission.
2. Overall responsibility to supervise and ensure the effective functioning of the resource/ knowledge based center.
1. Overall coordination and support to the provincial DoWA and EVAW Commission:
* Provide assistance to the DoWA and provincial EVAW Commission in coordinating all aspects of its work as needed.
* Oversee coordination on EVAW related issues with the central MoWA and EVAW Commission in consultation with UN WOMEN.
* Overall responsibility to coordinate interventions for provincial EVAW Commission and resource/knowledge based center.
* Provide assistance to the DoWA and provincial EVAW Commission in conducting meetings, making agendas, taking minutes and developing appropriate filing and documentation systems.
* Coordinate trainings and capacity development support for EVAW Commission and DoWA in consultation with project team.
* Conduct follow up assessment with trainees.
* Provide assistance to the EVAW Commission to implement initiatives aimed at raising awareness of the new EVAW Law and violence against women.
* Where appropriate actively participate in EVAW Commissions meetings, stakeholders meetings and any other initiatives relevant to the work of the Commission.
* Provide capacity development support to DoWA staff when needed.
* Communicate with supervisor on a daily basis to brainstorm on emerging issues and challenges.
* Provide weekly progress update to supervisor about the activities with the DoWA and EVAW Commission related tasks.
* Perform any other task assigned by management.
2. Overall responsibility to supervise the effective functioning of the resource/ knowledge based center.
* Ensure that the resource center is operational and functional.
* Assume overall management and daily supervision of the resource/ knowledge based center.
* Manage finances and other resources associated with the resource/ knowledge based center.
* Develop work plan, implement monitoring and evaluation mechanism and oversee activities of the resource / knowledge based center in close consultation with the project team.
* Ensure that systems are in place to allow smooth functioning of the resource/ knowledge based center.
* Coordinate trainings, workshops, education and awareness raising activities targeted towards women and girls in the local community to educate women about their rights, gender based violence and the new EVAW Law.
* Set up and maintain an effective and updated filing and documentation system (both hard and soft) for the EVAW Commission and resource/ knowledge based center.
* Provide weekly progress update to supervisor about the activities of the resource/ knowledge based center and related results.
* Strengthen partnerships, network and raise awareness of stakeholders about the provincial EVAW Commission and the resource/ knowledge based center.
* Conduct regular outreach to ensure that the resource centre is utilized by stakeholders and the community.
* Coordinate with stakeholders to mobilize resources and support to ensure sustainability of the resource center/ knowledge based center.
* Provide weekly progress update to supervisor about the functioning of the resource/ knowledge based center.
* Coordinate in consultation with supervisor and MoWA/ DoWA the inauguration of the resource center.
* Demonstrates commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision and values.
* Technical Knowledge
* Knowledge of Afghan laws and familiarity with gender issues
* Familiarity with international standards on women’s rights and related instruments
* Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, management and reporting
Required Skills and Experience:
* High school graduate with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience or a Bachelors degree with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the field of management, social science or law.
* Excellent command of spoken and written English and Dari. Knowledge of Pashtu is an advantage
* Focus on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
* Consistently approache work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
* Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
* Remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
* Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Please apply online at: http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?job_id=21249
Note: Please specify your preferred duty station(s) in your application.
Application Deadline: 3 February 2011