Offer: Call for Applications, TED Fellows Program 2011
The TED Fellows program is designed to bring together young world-changers and trailblazers who have shown unusual accomplishment and exceptional courage. The program targets individuals from the Asia/Pacific region, Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America and the Middle East, though anyone from anywhere in the world, age 18 and over, is welcome to apply. Next: Get the story behind the program »
Forty Fellows will be recruited each year. Of those Fellows, 15 will be selected for the extended, two-year Senior Fellows program. Read more about how it works »
for more info see http://www.ted.com/pages/view/id/243
Benefits to Fellows
* Attendance to one TED or TEDGlobal Conference with all expenses paid (conference, travel, room and board)
* Participation in Fellows pre-conference activities
* Private social networking on TED.com
* Potential to speak on the TED Fellows or TED University stage
* Potential to have that talk posted on TED.com
* Participation in the SupporTED coaching program
Responsibilities of Fellows
* Full attendance and participation at the Conference
* Submission of a post-conference report
* Regular participation in the TED Fellows community
Additional benefits to Senior Fellows
* Attendance to four additional TED and TEDGlobal Conferences with all expenses paid (travel, room and board)
* Participation in four additional Senior Fellows-centered pre-conference activities
* Potential to deliver a full-length talk on the main stage
* Potential to have that TEDTalk posted online
Additional responsibilities of Senior Fellows
* Full attendance and participation at four additional TED or TEDGlobal Conferences over two years
* Submission of a post-conference report after each conference
* Regular posting on the TED Fellows Blog
* Hosting a TEDx event for 50+ people
* Giving a talk on the TED Fellows, TED University or main TED stage
The TED Fellows participate in either our TED Conference in Long Beach, California or the TEDGlobal event in Edinburgh, U.K. In addition to attending the conferences, Fellows will participate in specially designed pre-conference programs with training from the world's experts in spreading great ideas. Next: Meet the current Fellows »
How it works: four steps
1. Candidates apply to attend one conference in either Long Beach or Edinburgh. Individuals can apply directly or be nominated by others. We'll also directly recruit potential Fellows and invite them to apply. Email email@example.com to be reminded when applications open. Please include your name, title, organization, email address, and country.
2. We'll choose 20 Fellows to attend each new conference.
3. Each year we'll choose 15 from 40 of the previous year's participants for the two-year TED Senior Fellows program, bringing them to four additional conferences (for a total of five).
4. We'll recruit 40 new Fellows each year, resulting in 15 Senior Fellows each following year. By 2012, we'll have 40 TED Fellows annually (split between Long Beach and Edinburgh) and 30 concurrent Senior Fellows.
Tips on applying to the TED Fellows program
When filling out your TED Fellowship application, please make sure to read through these tips. They're designed to help you submit the best application possible.
1. Be concise. We're looking for as much information about you as possible, but we realize we don't give you a lot of space. We're more interested in what you have to say than how you say it. Please also be mindful of our character limits (they do include spaces) -- or you will not be able to able to submit your application.
2. Actions > Academics. The TED Fellowship is not an academic fellowship. We don't want to know your class rank or your GPA -- we're interested in what you've actually done, what you're currently doing, and what you want to do. You don't have to have attended college or graduated to apply for a fellowship if you have done something remarkable.
3. Don't be afraid to brag! We understand that it may be difficult for you to talk about your accomplishments, as it's not considered polite to do so. But, we're looking to understand why you are different, exceptional, a maverick or a mold-breaker, and your talent may show more in your community organizing work, art, writing, music, film, science or engineering.
4. Apply early! Applications are open for over a month -- don't wait until the last day to submit your application. Our serves have been known to crash and cause unneeded stress.
5. Websites, photos, articles, etc. Make sure to test all of the links that you include in your application. We follow each one as we're interested in learning as much about you as possible.
6. Save an offline copy. We recommend you look at the application form first, then spend time offline composing your answers in Google Docs or Microsoft Word or a similar word-processing program. Keep an offline copy, in case of a broken connection or other error. TED cannot be responsible for text that gets lost.
Please read our TED Fellows policies and FAQ first to answer any questions you may have.
pcoming TED Fellows application dates
There are two admission cycles per year: one for TED in Long Beach and one for TEDGlobal in Oxford (with the exception of an additional cycle in 2009 with TEDIndia). We will accept 25 Fellows to each conference.
TED2011 Conference timeline:
June 21, 2010 - TED2011 Fellows applications OPEN
August 20, 2010 - TED2011 Fellows applications CLOSE
TED in Oxford
2011 TEDGlobal Conference timeline:
January 17, 2011 - TEDGlobal 2011 applications OPEN
March 11, 2011 - TEDGlobal 2011 applications CLOSE
For more information see http://www.ted.com/pages/view/id/243