Offer: Call for Submissions: International Conference on African Same-Sex Sexualities and Gender Diversity
The mission of the conference is to identify and celebrate indigenous and evolving male, female and/or gender variant same-sex sexual practices, identities and communities in Sub-Saharan Africa including expressions of gender diversity, and to promote their social acceptance and their physical and social well-being.
This conference is open to:
* Persons who are knowledgeable about or scholarly engaged in the study of African same-sex practices, identities, and communities from a liberating or emancipatory perspective;
* Persons from Sub-Saharan Africa engaged in the artistic expression of gender and same-sex sexuality issues;
* Persons involved in LGBT movement and interested policy makers.
For persons interested in submitting an abstract it is important to know the following:
* The conference organizer aim to build a conference program that represents diversity in terms of gender, geography, and topics;
* The number of conference participants will be limited;
* Abstracts should be responsive to the conference themes and meet the required format;
* Abstract will be reviewed by an international group of scholars;
* If abstracts are accepted, presenters will be expected to submit their presentation in writing before the conference.
* There will be (limited) support for presenting participants to travel to and attend the conference;
* Submission of abstracts can only be done via this website;
* Only abstracts in English or French will be reviewed.
Abstract will be selected for presentation taking into account:
* Quality of submitted abstract: (1) Originality of contribution; (2) Relevance in terms of conference goals; and (3) Level of scholarship;
* Representation (nationality and gender/gender identity);
* Availability to sponsor needed resources.
Abstracts should have a title (maximum 20 words), authors names (full first name and surname; intended presenting author first), affiliations (if any; if none: “independent”), and summary of the proposed presentation of maximum 300 words. Abstracts should indicate how data, sources, or evidence, on which the abstract has been based, have been assembled. Abstracts should include a conclusion summarizing the meaning or implications of the proposed presentation. Abstracts can be submitted in either English or French. An abstract-sample can be found on the conference website (http://asssgd.org.za/abstract/).
October 1, 2010 - Final date for abstract submission and request for participation support
November 1, 2010 - Information regarding acceptance of abstracts and support available
January 15, 2011 - Submission of conference presentation