Solidarity Against Corruption
I hope we are all on the same page when I say corruption affects us all and that we should have a stand against it. We know that it impedes growth, development and justice. We want to target individuals and public and private institutions where the culture of corruption exists.
The United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC) has 164 state parties and 140 signatories. (Please check your country if they have signed and/or ratified UNCAC.
On 30 January to 2 February 2013, Philippines will host a global conference on corruption led by a group of parliamentarians called, Global Organisation of Parliamentarians Against Corruption (GOPAC). For the 5th GOPAC Conference in Manila, our theme is “Good Laws. Good Leaders. Good Citizens.” As human rights practitioners and young leaders, we need to lobby for good and effective legislation to combat corruption and also make sure that our government leaders set the standard.
Friends, I now invite you to contribute to the discussion and propagation of anti-corruption campaigns:
• 1. Please use your Twitter, FB, and other social networking sites to talk about anti-corruption and include our website: www.gopacmanila2013.com to create awareness.
• 2. Ask your MPs to register and participate in the Global Conference in Manila in 2013. Demand commitment and action from them.
• 3. Register and join us, too! Although, we have limited capacity, I encourage you to inquire and register on our website. Ask for letter of invitation, or if GOPAC has bursaries for you.
• 4. Those who are working in the media, could you please write about this event? You can always relate it to your topic of interest. (eg. Corruption and Slavery; Corruption and Human Rights, Corruption and Sustainability, The Impact of Corruption on Women, etc.)
• 5. Please send this info to your network as well.
Take note: 9 December 2012 is the International Anti-Corruption Day!
Anyway, I will attach the program here and the invited speakers. Some of your MPs will be speaking. 300 more will be attending.
Attached is the programme.