The Women Research and Resource Centre (WRRC)
THE WOMEN RESEARCH AND RESOURCE CENTRE (WRRC)
LIMBE, CAMEROON, P O Box 1075
BY ROSEMARY OLIVE MBONE ENIE
WHAT IS WRRC
The Women Research and Resource Centre (WRRC), established in 2008, -outcome of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Conference of Parties (COP) 14 - Poznan, Poland, to work with grassroots women on climate change adaptation and mitigation measures within their communities. Project of Cameroon based NGO, Cameroon Vision Trust registered - November 1998 in Limbe, South West Region of Cameroon.
• Supports information, knowledge exchange and capacity building,
• Undertake strategic projects particularly on climate change adaptation / mitigation and working with women as agent of change.
• Coordinates activities continent-wide through the setup of networks including the Women Environment and Climate Action Network (WECAN) working in partnership with international/ national organizations and NGOs, Women 2020 Leadership Caucus of the State of the World Forum, USA, Climate Change Network (CCN) Nigeria.
• Water and the Environment (Integrated Water Resources Management-IWRM/Water Security
• Biodiversity Conservation/Food Security
• Climate Change (Mitigation/Adaptation) Technologies
• Sustainable Use Initiative/Energy Security
• Information/Knowledge Exchange and Dissemination through the WRRC Newsletter, Website and the Internet.
• Institutional Strengthening-South-South/North-South Networking and Training Programs on women and climate change.
• Education and Public Awareness Program through dissemination of awareness materials and organization of awareness campaign on women and climate change.
• Policy Development-through strategic workshops and policy development initiatives women and climate change.
• Demonstration Projects-Undertaking strategic project in conjunction with grassroots women’s organization and partner agencies
• Climate Finance-Seek, Promote and Initiate funds for implementing grassroots women projects in climate change mitigation and adaptation.
• The Women Research and Resource Centre (WRRC) is the secretariat of the Women Environmental and Climate Action Network (WECAN) - Pan African network of women environmental and climate action agencies across Africa and Internationally. The program of WECAN is guided by an Advisory Council comprising of representatives from women environmental and climate action organizations together with experts and agency representatives.
WECAN PARTNERSHIP/ MEMBERSHIP
• Government and International Agencies –can provide/obtain information/support from the Centre or Members of WECAN.
• Project/Program Partners-Organizations may become partners in particular projects or activities providing input and support in their development or implementation.
• Members-Organizations or individuals who just wish to receive/contribute to newsletter and participate in lower level activities can become ordinary members of Women Environment and Climate Action Network (WECAN).
WECAN WILL PROVIDE MEMBERS/PARTNERS WITH: WECAN WILL PROVIDE MEMBERS/PARTNERS WITH:
• Newsletter and Technical Advice
• Update and Funding Opportunities
• Opportunities for Involving in Projects/Programs
• A chance to make contact with other members of WECAN
• A directory of women working in the environment/climate action sector