Tell the US Congress to Make Violence against Women History
The International Violence Against Women Act (I-VAWA) has been introduced in the Senate and the House of Representatives. The bill has been reintroduced by 25 Senators and by 25 Representatives from both sides of the aisle, and now has over 75 co-sponsors in the House. We have a new opportunity to build support for I-VAWA and make a difference in millions of women's lives.
Violence against women is a human rights violation and a worldwide pandemic - approximately 1 out of every 3 women worldwide has been beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in her lifetime increasing her exposure to HIV/AIDS. I-VAWA supports innovative approaches to ending violence against women globally by promoting services for survivors, holding perpetrators accountable and challenging public attitudes that condone such violence.
Show your support for the original cosponsoring Senators and Representatives commitment to women's rights by urging your Senator and/or Representative to cosponsor International Violence Against Women Act. Begin reaching out now - ask your Senator and/or Representative to cosponsor I-VAWA. Take action at: http://www.globalaidsalliance.org/page/speakout/IVAWAIntroductio.
Look at what the passage of I-VAWA would mean to women around the world:
• Increased efforts to prevent violence against women during conflict and in humanitarian settings
• Legal reform and commitment to finding perpetrators and bringing them to justice
• Strengthened capacity of women's organizations to help survivors
• Increased opportunities for women, free from violence, to seek testing or treatment for HIV/AIDS
• Expanded economic and educational opportunities that would help women who are abused flee their abuser or reduce their risk for sexual exploitation
Speak out against the horrors women suffer around the world. Urge your Senator and/or Representative to cosponsor International Violence against Women Act. Take action now at http://www.globalaidsalliance.org/page/speakout/IVAWAIntroductio.