Empowering women to access the internet part 2
The tools, resources and trainings I will like to have access to in order to feel more comfortable using the internet are;
Trainings on how to use Google docs, Skype, Google hangout, Dropbox, creating a professional quality document, digital storytelling, social collaboration etc
Personal laptops and Ipad are tools I will need
The resources can be through apps, can be cloud based, through the web etc
The challenges I faced when learning to use the internet
1. The cost of accessing the internet
2. Cost of generating power
3. Cost of getting my own personal computer
4. Lack of proper instructor
The challenges other women in my community face are;
1. Lack of creation of time to learn
2. Intimidation of going to the cybercafé, because of men.
3. Cost of getting their personal computer or laptop
4. Cost of generating power
5. Cost of internet access
6. Cost of getting trained
7. The thought that learning how to use the internet is hard
I have overcome all the these challenges all by
1. Not being intimidated to go the Cybercafé and learning how to use the computer/internet myself.
2. By generating income through the internet , to be able to be able to afford cost of generating power supply, cost of getting my personal computer and cost of accessing the internet.
3. By attending a lot of seminars/training pertaining to using of the web.
4. Going online everyday, Googling and browsing for information’s and tools to make me better online.
5. By being enthusiastic to learn. I met Mrs. Adebowale Olutosin during the Social Media Week, because I went there to learn how to build an App, But the facilitator did not turn up because she was ill, we were asked to join the session (WEB WOMEN WANT) that was how I met her. If I had not gone learn how to build an app, I will not know about World Pulse.
I have trained some people on how to use the internet both paid training and free training.
Also through my foundation Mobile Money Biz Loan For Women, I have been training women on the uses of the computer/internet and their benefits , also sharing my testimonies of how the internet has helped me in business. We give them little manual on the internet/computer.We are having another training tomorrow on the 26th April 2014. We intend to get our own vocational training centers where after learning a vocational /livelihood skill, they can also be taught on how to use the computer/internet for free all through the week.
I am also helping my fellow World Pulse sisters get online by helping them to create a website for FREE. This is our first website www.edenchildren.com.ng
Thanks a lot World Pulse, for helping connect with women who are raising their voices to make this world a better place.
Please like our page as we empower more women economically/vocationally and digitally www.facebook.com/mmbl4w.