Women and Girls Accessing and Exploring Internet Opportunities for Empowerment
Nowadays , Internet is one the solutions to acquire more knowledge and information in various domain ; Political , Social and Economic . Internet provides different Women and Girls opportunities for growth , learning (scholarships , training and mentorship ) , leadership and business management .
But What can be done to support Internet accessibility and skills to Girls and Women empowered and competitiveness? Recently , I have been doing some basic research in Rwanda and over the Web and below are some proposed strategies and programs that would encourage use of Technology especially Internet that would contribute to personal development and Youth / Women economic empowerment .
- Internet and related Technologies need to be introduced to Girls at young age . Even though it still difficult in developing countries to access Internet at Secondary , College or University Institutions , free short term Internet / Technology camps or campaigns can be organized to provide them with unhindered access to computers in order to develop skills and creativity in using Technology and Internet as well as to inspire them as the next generation of women technology entrepreneurs. This can also be the opportunity for them to network with IT Women entrepreneurs to inspire or mentor them on different projects .
- Engage institutions , organizations , individuals and other community development actors to advocate for Internet Technologies accessibility or provide training related sessions to promote young men and women sustainable livelihoods to facilitate the creation of startups Internet Businesses hence promote economic empowerment .
- Promote use of Internet Technology for Youth and Women’s economic empowerment by providing Enterprises , Entrepreneurs and Organizations the capacity to design, deliver and implement Internet Based programs , knowledge and skills.
- Establish Women in Business and Leadership mentorship program for them to use Internet and Computer Technologies for successful and innovative leaderships and businesses;
- Mentor Women's and Girl’s on Internet technology and related businesses; Address barriers and challenges they face in using Internet while operating.
Let work together for Women and Girls accessing Internet to fight against poverty and vulnerability .