PRESS RELEASE ON HIJAB
EMANCIPATION FOR WOMEN IN PURDAH OF JAMA’ATU TA’AWUNIL MUSLIMEEN NIGERIA
@ WORLD HIJAB DAY
1st February, 2014.
Women in Purdah and Hijab are Muslims who are in obedience to their lord, cover themselves from head to toe. They do this in conjunction with the command of Allah as stated in (Q33: 59) and (Q24:30).
Hijab is compulsory for Muslim Women who are conscious of Allah and believe in the last day.
We Emancipation group of Jama’atu Ta’awunil Muslimeen are participating in the world Hijab day as it is an ongoing issue in the southwest and Nigeria at large. Fighting for our request which is our constitutional right that has not been granted from years ago, but we have hope that if Nigeria will continue as liberal and democratic country, will soon be granted not only in a state but in Nigeria generally.
We believe that if our request for Hijab is not granted in a place, that means we are still dependent and under colonization or under neo-colonization by their agents.
This is our short letter to Nigeria government or any group who are denying us the use of Hijab and the following requests:
“Dictatorship and oppression does not comply with the nature of human being, causing unrest and crises. So, no rest for injustice”
Our Requests from the government are:
1. Equal access to work in government parastatals without prejudice.
2. Giving slot to women in Purdah in benefit distribution as they have always been deprived.
3. Establishing a center for the Purdah like (as done for the privileged) to oversee women’s affairs and to fix them into jobs.
4. Adequate security and conducive environment for women in Purdah during elections
5. In corporating Hijab as dressing code in schools (primary to higher institution)
6. Provision of vocational trainings, self employment programmes and education.
7. Creating fund raising programmes via the aforementioned centre.
8. Non- discrimination of women wearing purdah in any form as contained in chapter three of the 1999 Nigeria constitution.
9. Since rights to religion is a Muslim property which can never be taken away from her, then government shall be probed if any of these rights infringed upon.
Consequence of government failure, we foresee uncontrollable grievances from women in purdah if these request are not adequately met.
Emancipation for women in purdah,
Jama’at Ta’awunil Muslimeen.