Happy World Water Day 2009
World Water Day: March 22, 2009
What is World Water Day?
World Water Day is the official UN-designated day dedicated to water issues. It's a key date to champion the right of people everywhere to affordable, safe drinking water, close to home.
Why are good water supplies important?
* Clean water reduces the spread of diarrheal diseases that kill 5,000 children a day
* Accessible water supplies mean women can spend time working to earn money or caring for their families, rather than walking for hours in search of water
* Sufficient water supplies mean there is water available for washing and watering gardens, as well as drinking and cooking
Find out more key facts about water and sanitation
What can I do on World Water Day?
There’s lots you can do to become a WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) champion! Learn more, share what you learn with others, and support organizations like WaterAid, that exist to help the world's most vulnerable communities gain access to clean water and sanitation, close to their homes.
* Make a donation online
* Visit the official UN World Water Day website
* Sign our petition asking Congress to combat global poverty
* Take part in the Walk for Water in Zeeland, MI
* Organize your own World Water Day Walk for Water
* Organize your friends into a community of WASH champions by starting a giving circle using an online personal fundraising page
* Visit our display at the American Museum of Natural History's Water Resource Fair in New York
* Spread the word about our work:
o Declare your commitment by joining our Facebook group
o Keep current by following us on Twitter and retweeting our tweets
o Become our friend on MySpace and leave a message
o Watch and rate our YouTube videos
o Post a WaterAid America banner on your website or profile
* Sign up for our enews and forward it to your friends
* Download the WaterAid iGoogle theme
Watch a video to find out more