Now Hiring: Online Community Associate
About World Pulse
WORLD PULSE is the leading network using the power of digital media to connect women worldwide and bring them a global voice.
Our mission is to lift and unite women’s voices to accelerate their impact for the world. Through our growing web-based platform, women are speaking out and connecting to create solutions from the frontlines of today’s most pressing issues. With a focus on grassroots women change leaders, our programs nurture community, provide media and empowerment training, and channel rising voices to influential forums.
We believe that when women are heard and connected, they will transform the world.
World Pulse is looking for a community organizer and motivated multi-tasker with impeccable communication skills to support the management, growth, and engagement of World Pulse’s online community. The Online Community Associate is a matchmaker, a spokesperson, a leader, a self-starter, and a mediator, working closely with the Online Community Manager and broader Programs Team to implement the organizational strategic plan and strengthen World Pulse as a communications hub for the global women’s movement. This position will serve to activate, support and grow our online community and platform to ensure that grassroots women leaders and supporters of women’s initiatives have a safe space to speak for themselves, secure needed resources for their projects, and collaborate to solve global issues.
- Facilitation: Be an active member in the community and participate in conversations by providing supportive comments, connecting members with each other, asking questions to further dialogue and posting journals to get members talking. Moderate conversations to maintain thriving, supportive culture.
- Security and Mediation: Monitor all site activity to identify and block spam, mediate where needed and keep community free of unwanted activity.
- Customer Service: Field questions regarding the community and assist members to utilize and navigate the site.
- Training: Guide new members, volunteers and small groups in navigating and successfully using the features of the community.
- Database Management: Maintain SalesForce records, and document exemplary members, success stories, feedback from members, community needs, etc.
- Resource Exchange: Research funding and training opportunities and frequently post in our global bulletin board. Collaborate with Manager to create and distribute a quarterly resource e-communication to highlight current needs and offers.
- Feature Development: Actively participate in conversations around the design and development of new site features with product development team.
- Internal Outreach: Create groups, identify community leaders and engage members in meaningful dialogue around specific topics and regions.
- Community Leadership Support: Identify and support community members’ online-leadership, and participate in discussions for future leadership role development. Monitor and report success stories/impact.
- Volunteer Recruitment and Management: Establish and manage relationships and ensure participation of volunteers in community-focused programs.
- A minimum of an Associate degree in communications, journalism, women’s studies, or a related field (or commensurate experience).
- Experience and an interest in working with diverse communities and varying cultures.
- Understands and is very comfortable with the social media universe including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Wikis, Blogs, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work individually on a project or in a team environment.
- Self-starter and motivator with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines, with outstanding organizational skills.
- Excels at research, possesses excellent writing skills and the ability to quickly produce quality editorial and technical writing.
- A strong interest in understanding and implementing the latest and best tips, applications, and technology news.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovative thinking to move the community forward and stay on the cutting edge of technology.
- Works efficiently under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Actively contribute to a positive working environment that fosters honesty, professionalism, creativity and caring.
- Possesses functional knowledge or some experience with HTML.
- Knowledge of international issues, women’s and children’s international human rights.
- Language skills in French or Spanish
- Experience in a developing country
Reports to: Online Community Manager
Works directly with: Online Community Manager, Community Volunteers, Programs Team.
Terms: Full-time, subject to deductions for taxes and other withholdings as required by law or the policies of the organization. This is a nonexempt position that falls under the Associate pay classification. Salary DOE.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and able to reside in Portland, Oregon at the time of hire. We will not accommodate remote employment at this time.
World Pulse is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bi-cultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition or conditions, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participated in the application process. Please advise of special needs at the time of hire.
Please send a resume and cover letter clearly addressing your relevant experience, interest in the position, and indicating your compensation requirements to email@example.com.
Additionally, in another document, please submit a writing sample responding to both of the following scenarios:
- A woman joins the World Pulse online community and in her profile she shares her personal email address, phone number, and mailing address. Respond to her with a welcoming message that encourages her participation in the community and also explains security risks.
- A scholarship opportunity comes across your desk, and you think that a particular long-time member of the World Pulse online community who you have some connection to already would be a good candidate. Write a message inviting her to apply.
Please indicate "Online Community Associate" in the subject field. Applicants under consideration will be contacted. Applications due by January 12th. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.