Happy Birthday to United Nations (UN)
UN, Born out of the ashes of World War II, The Term “United Nations” was coined by
US President Franklin Roosevelt in 1941. The Charter of the UN entered into force on
October 24, 1945.
• Today the UN has 193 Member States
• The last to join was the Republic of South Sudan on July 14, 2011
• Each of the 193 members have an equal vote
• 15 members: 5 permanent with veto power and 10 rotating every 2 years
• 15 Peacekeeping Operations, on 4 continents working with 123,640 peacekeepers
• 6 official languages (The working languages at the UN Secretariat are English and French.)
A delegate may speak in any of the official languages, and the speech is interpreted simultaneously into the other official languages. Most UN documents are also issued in all six official languages. At times, a delegate may choose to make a statement using a non-official language. In such cases, the delegation must provide either an interpretation or a written text of the statement in one of the official languages and Bangla is nominated to be official language.
Other bodies of the UN
• Economic & Social Council
• International Court of Justice
• Trusteeship Council