Module 1 Part 2: Suggested Activity
1) Were you nervous before your interview? If so, tell us how you overcame your fears. If not, tell us the source of your confidence.
2) What did you do really well during your interview?
3) What do you want to work on improving for next time?
1) I was nervous before the interview because I had never met the person and I had never been to her organization before. I was also feeling a bit lazy because the interview was scheduled pretty early in the morning and I had transport problems. After an hour of self-contemplation, I realized my fears were unfounded because I had interacted with her (over phone and email) before and she did offer help by sending her transport to me. I remember what one journalist had told me: Journalism is all about delving into the unknown and coming out of your comfort zones. I knew there is always a first and that there will be many such occasions in future where I will have to face unknown situations, so it is best to overcome this fear once and for all.
2) I communicated the interview's objectives really well and navigated the discussion around those objectives whenever the conversation seemed to digress. I had written down all the questions and objectives as guidelines.
3) I would like to connect deeply with more woman activists in my country so that the approachability problem is reduced to a great extent, and so that all interviews are more conversational/natural (This time, I felt the interviewee was a bit self-conscious).