Some of my favourite genres of photography
There are so many different photographs and different styles of taking them out there. Different photographers tend to like different genres; some are adept at a range of genres while others like a particular one or two. Here are some of my favourites:
Portraits - I'm not strong with portraits but it's my most recent love :) To me, portraits can be candid shots or posed pictures and encompass images that will present an individual to you as they are in real life; they are good replicas. I like to get face shots and upper body but there are also full bodied portraits.
'SCAPES' - these include land scapes, city scapes, water scapes (ocean, river, sea). To me, these are pictures that give you an idea of the environment in which you are. They are wide and encompass a large variety of elements - wide shots in general.
Macros - I love to get upclose and personal to different elements. These are shots that make the subject/s seem larger than they actually are. For example, have you ever seen a really big picture of an insect in a book only to realise it's not that large but significantly smaller?
Event - I like to attend an event such as a cultural show, prize giving ceremony or observance of a particular festival and capture what is happening. These are definitely NOT easy as I cannot ask those present to 'pose' for me; one second the picture is there and the next it isn't. It's difficult but I've found that learning about the event before hand helps me.
Street - this is another genre I'm developing in. It's not taking picture of people in the street but addresses pictures that show everyday people doing everyday things. For example, a fisherman casting a net or a street vendor selling his/her goods. They can be posed for or candid shots - I prefer the candid shots more. The point to note is that a person should be in the picture to make it street.
This is most definitely NOT an exhausted list and there are MANY more genres out there. What are some of your favourites and why?
- The main picture on the page (at the top) is a waterscape. It's a picture of the water taxis transporting workers from one side of the Demerara River (in Guyana) to the other at sunset.
- The picture with the person in a gold costume is an event photograph taken during Guyana's version of carnival which is called Mashramani in 2012.
- The insect picture is a macro. That's a wasp that I happened to catch while taking out something completely unrelated.
- The picture of the lady is a portrait of my grandmother.
- The picture of the mother and child is a street photograph.