Educating our community and ourselves
I've been pondering...what if girls worldwide were given the opportunity to attend and finish secondary school and college and at the same time men and women in the same community start to take classes or workshops. I believe its great to educate girls but we must conquer the source of the obstacle MEN! We must educate them and help them to see how educating women and girls will benefit the community and their families. By holding women back men are indirectly holding back themselves, their families, their community and their country all just to have power and control. Men it really is ok to put your pride and egos aside to progress your communities. Your mothers raised you and taught you how to take care of yourself, aren't they deserving of advancing themselves through education?
I've also been thinking... If women are living in a community in which men are not open to becoming educated alongside women and also giving girls the opportunity to finish school; maybe women can connect to educate ourselves. This maybe a far fetched idea, but here it goes:
1. A group of women can pull together money or other resources to have a woman or a man (if he's willing) teach classes learned in secondary school.
2. The group could also get training in areas such as: financial literacy, reading, writing, starting a business, technology, bartering for your benefit or to develop a skill, etc.
3. The group may also have the opportunity to barter with a male family member to teach the group.
4. There may also be community organizations or community members that can coordinate classes.
5. Teach each other what we know or share other opportunities that would benefit another woman in your community or your group. We have to find a way to be strong and persistent women for the girls that look up to us. They depend on us and we will be depending on them so we must find a way to give them a step up and not give them the same hand we were dealt in life.
WE ARE WOMEN AND WE CAN!!