Now Hiring: Outreach and Training Associate
WORLD PULSE is an action media network powered by women from 190 countries. We believe that when women are heard, they will transform the world.
Our mission is to lift and unite women’s voices to accelerate their impact for the world. Through our growing web-based platform, women are speaking out and connecting to create solutions from the frontlines of today’s most pressing issues. With a focus on grassroots women change leaders, our programs nurture community, provide media and empowerment training, and broadcast rising voices to influential forums.
World Pulse was founded as a non-profit social media enterprise in 2003 by Jensine Larsen, an international journalist who reported on indigenous movements and ethnic cleansing in South America and Southeast Asia. With a core team based in Portland, Oregon, World Pulse works with hundreds of volunteers from around the world and is supported by an international community of grassroots women leaders, contributing members and visionary philanthropists.
Outreach & Training Associate
Reports to: VOF Program Manager
Works directly with: VOF Program Manager, Programs Team including: Online Community Manager, Campaigns, Content and Technology
The Outreach &Training Associate helps ensure the success of the Voices of Our Future Program, an online new media, citizen journalism and empowerment training program. The Associate works closely with the Voices of Our Future Program Manager to implement, promote, support, and grow the program. In addition, the Associate works closely with the Online Community Manager to coordinate alignment and integration of VOF materials/program with Campaign and Content needs.
Candidates should be passionate about World Pulse’s mission, possess an outgoing and encouraging nature, have strong skills in organizing and directing volunteers, have excellent communication and writing skills, and enjoy empowering others to actualize and vocalize their visions for a better world. Because of the increase in French speaking members on our community, candidates must be fluent in spoken and written French.
Duties/Responsibilities-Voices of Our Future Program & Online Community Support
- Ensure the integration of programs with all other departments, capitalizing on areas for collaboration
- Support recruitment, training and on-going management of volunteer Listeners and Translators for VOF Training Program and Online Community roles
- Assist with recruitment, training and on-going management of Mentors and Editorial Midwives
- Database Management: Log of records of volunteers, success stories, etc for VOF Program and Online Community
- Provide technical support for online management of VOF Program and Online Community
- Work with Tech Team to ensure program needs are scheduled and met
- Manage digital assets from programs (call recordings, photos, videos)
- Technical support: some HTML, web page updating, spam blocking, maintenance
- Support VOF Application and listening process and assist in selection of top 30 correspondents
- Support orientation and Training for VOF candidates
- Customer Service: Field questions regarding VOF Program and assist participants to utilize and navigate online classroom; Field questions regarding online community and support online community members
- Facilitation: be an active member in the community and participate in conversations by providing supportive comments, asking and answering questions and sparking dialogue between VOF Program Participants and online community members
- Program Development: Actively participate in the design and development of new projects/ programs
- Be on program related calls and be prepared to lead if necessary
- Support VOF Program Manager in creation of learning materials and toolkits as programs expand
- Support research opportunities for innovation and expansion
- Liaise with potential partners
- Assist in managing and creating e-communication and PR efforts for programs
- Helps identify and report success stories for programs team (breaking stories, opportunities, emerging leaders, etc) and supports nominations of community members for opportunities
- Encourage and champion VOF Correspondent and Online Community Engagement across the World Pulse Team
- Assist with nomination process for online community members
- Contribute to meeting of network/traffic growth goals through outreach activities and social media efforts.
- Be active on PulseWire
- Participate in events and represent World Pulse
- Participate in weekly team meetings
- Actively participate in strategic planning sessions
- Adhere to and understand role in safety and security guidelines
- As a global organization, team members must be available occasionally to conduct work outside of PST office hours with prior notice
- Actively contribute to a positive working environment that fosters honesty, professionalism, creativity, caring and celebration
The key attributes for this position include:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in related field: international relations, international development, communications, education
- Fluency in French
- Non-profit experience
- Online learning, training and outreach experience
- Experience in developing countries
- Knowledge in women’s empowerment and gender programing
- Knowledge of new media and citizen journalism sectors
- Knowledge of Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D)
- Cross-culturally responsive
- Attention to detail and deadlines
- High level of professionalism and responsibility
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and work under tight deadlines
- Flexibility to work outside of normal office hours as needed
- Ability to contribute individually and participate in cross-functional teams
- Ability to be personable, humorous, humble, bold and encouraging in an online community
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong skills in communicating World Pulse mission as well as maintaining World Pulse editorial style in communications with stakeholders
- Patience and flexibility
- Experience in creating or maintaining websites/blogs
- Familiarity with online communication services
Equal Opportunity Employment
World Pulse is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition or conditions, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participated in the application process. Please advise of special needs at the time of hire.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and able to reside in Portland, Oregon at the time of hire. We will not accommodate remote employment at this time.
E-mail pdfs of resume and cover letter addressing attributes listed in job description and level of proficiency in French. Include a link to a recent writing sample, article or blog entry written in French. Applications without all of these items included or in the format requested will not be considered. Please e-mail applications to email@example.com by Friday 1/25/2013.