Formation of the Women Council for Girl-child Education Puntland
About two weeks ago a Women Council for Girl-child Education was created by the Gender Unit of the Ministry of Education of Puntland State of Somalia. I was one of the chosen members and later i was nominated to be a Chairwoman. I am happy to be part of this group and look forward to a good contribution.
The objectives of Women Council for Girl Child Education are to promote access to secondary education for girls through social mobilization.
The WCGCE members are expected to;
• Conduct school based and regional visits and mobilize and educate communities using contextually appropriate avenues/medium on significance of girl-child education.
• Mobilize CECs and other school communities and advocate for increased access to secondary education for girls.
• Hold mothers forum at target schools to educate them on importance girls education and home based support to girls
• Mobilize resources through Public Private Partnerships in order to support the education of girls through provision of scholarships, improved school learning environment and girls- friendly facilities.
• Sensitize and guide school girls on career path and opportunities. Emphasize the importance of joining teaching career and serving as a role model for girls in secondary schools
• Hold motivation talks and encourage girls to complete secondary education and pursue further studies/professional careers
• Advocate for policies that are responsive to the needs of the girls enrolled in secondary schools.