'The Solution- It isn't that they can't see the solution. It is that they can't see the problem.’
On September 29, a class XI student was gangraped by four youths in a busy market area at Gohana in Sonipat, State of Haryana on Thursday.
On September 9, a dalit girl was gang-raped by eight youths near Dabra village in Hisar district, state of Haryana and four others had filmed the act. Three accused in the case are still at large.
In Jind district, a 30-year-old woman was gang-raped by three youths at her house at Pillu Khera, state of Haryana on September 21. The main accused in the case is still absconding.
In 20 days there were three gang rapes reported in state of Haryana. I mentioned reported as most of them would not be so bold to report for Rape out of shame and fear. These Rapists have all the guts in this world to threaten the girl and her family to not to report to the police.
With growing number of cases of rape, sexual harassment, eve-teasing in the state of Haryana, India and the State ministers have come up with solutions which I wanted to share:
1) Solution offered: Minimum age of marriage should be lowered down to 16 from 18 and Girls should get married as soon as possible.
Remedy: For what? So that they get raped legally? Even before they become a woman?
Effects of the solution: When girls will get married at the age of 16 then they are not anymore responsibilities of their parents. It's the husband's responsibility now to keep an eye on her in order to keep her safe. So her life will now be inside the four walls of the house from very early age of sixteen. So, this way when a girl is born her parents will wait for her to be sixteen so that they can get her married and be relieved from stress and tension because of that girl in their hearts and minds. Thus, after the wedding the stress is transferred from girl's parents to her husband. Now, he will have his own set of rules to tackle this stress. But, whatever he thinks or the parents ultimately that poor girl has to suffer without even a bit of her fault for her whole life.
Another important point to be highlighted here is that this statement is by a minister who plays a major role in our government as a former chief minister. Child marriage is illegal in India and still he made this statement. If the ministers themselves will give such statements then obviously the citizens will
Be encouraged to break all the laws and continue this ever.
2) Solution Offered: Haryana government has offered 33% reservation to women on the road. The remaining 67% are on their own.
Remedy: If agreed upon the above statement at least 33% will be safe but what about the remaining 67%. On top of that how are they going to decide who belong to that 33%??
Effects of the solution: This statement will create a vibe of terror across haryana as now government itself has declared that only 33% women are safe. A vibrant example of this which happened few days back is when a girl got gang raped just 100 meters from her house. She went out to the grocery shop to buy some stuff when the shopkeeper asked her to get it from the storage behind where three men were already waiting for her and even he joined them. What was her fault? Nothing. She was not wearing jeans (as our honorable minister claims that women should not wear jeans to stop attracting attention from men). Yet She was not safe even 100 meters from her house. Did something happen to those rapists? NO -Nothing. A police case has been registered which will go on for years now and there is no justice. Even if she gets justice what is the use of that as her life won’t get back to normal ever again. The solution is not to give her justice, the solution is to see a day when no girl should be unsafe and no men can dare to do such a big crime. The question that's in my mind is which percentage she falls in 67 or 33? If such case happened so close to her house then forget about going far off places.
3) Solution Offered: Staying at home after dark, not wearing jeans, getting sold legally on the market along with cattle and getting married at 14-16.
Remedy: When the women won’t go out of their house nobody can attack them but if they wear salwar suits or completely covered clothes from head to toe how will that solve the problem is my question?
Effects of the solution: Let's not go too far for this effect as I am one of those. I am from haryana, brought up in a family which is not really that orthodox but yes a little for sure. So from childhood I was a girl who wore anything, played cricket and all the boys’ games with them as I had no girl to play with. Now the day came when I had to go to college. Me and my mom shopped a lot for that. We bought some skirts and lots of funky tops. My first day in college - I was wearing a normal jeans and a top which was covering up to my belt. My college was on a bit of outskirts of my city and there we had people from typical state of Haryana and lots of other places too. I was sitting in the cafeteria with my friends when a girl came who was my senior and took me out in a corner. She was completely furious at me and started shouting at me saying that you have no sense of wearing clothes to college. I was like what happened, and then she went on and said that she was sitting there with her friends, mostly men, in the cafeteria and all of them were looking at me and from tomorrow I should come in a salwar suit. I was completely shocked that how can a girl come and tell me this? Still I ignored and went back. Another day, another senior this time a boy came and told me you are a very nice girl, I respect you a lot, I know you are very sweet and honest but in this college girls who wear jeans don’t have a good image and I am telling you all this because I care for you and you don’t have that good of an image because of this. My answer to him was "Image is what you or these people think of me but character is what really I am. I am living with my family and be with my friends and they are more than happy with who I am and what I wear. For me they are most important and I am bothered about so I am least bothered about my IMAGE".
Vision: To see a day, a generation of women who is completely unaware of the word ‘Rape’. The punishment of such a crime should be so horrifying that no men on this planet will even dare to think about it forget about committing it.