Moving On - Providing Input to a High-Level Panel on the Post-2015 Development Agenda
The United Nations General Assembly for 2012 is now coming to a conclusion. For those of us unable to attend in person, the UNGA website is worth spending some time browsing the speeches and actions taken - http://www.un.org/en/ga/
In July 2012, UN Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon appointed a High-level Panel to advise on the global development agenda beyond 2015, the target date for the Millennium Development Goals. The importance of this panel can not be understated! The world can end poverty by applying the lessons learned since 2001 when the Millennium Development Goals were first enacted.
One of the aims of this post is to urge continuing actions to bring neighborhoods together to discuss problems facing the community, and urge coordinated actions to address these issues.
Networking and using modern internet platforms (like World Pulse) are clearly the way forward for the grassroots to bring awareness of the problems facing us to our global leadership. The complete high-level panel is provided below. Let them know how your community is doing....
The Secretary-General has appointed three co-Chairs:
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono of Indonesia;
- President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia; and
- Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom.
Panel members includes:
- Fulbert Gero Amoussouga (Benin)
- Vanessa Petrelli Corrêa (Brazil)
- Yingfan Wang (China)
- Maria Angela Holguin (Colombia)
- Gisela Alonso (Cuba)
- Jean-Michel Severino (France)
- Horst Kohler (Germany)
- Naoto Kan (Japan)
- Queen Rania of Jordan (Jordan)
- Betty Maina (Kenya)
- Abhijit Banerjee (India)
- Andris Piebalgs (Latvia)
- Patricia Espinosa (Mexico)
- Paul Polman (Netherlands)
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Nigeria)
- Elvira Nabiullina (Russian Federation)
- Graça Machel (South Africa)
- Sung-Hwan Kim (Republic of Korea)
- Gunilla Carlsson (Sweden)
- Emilia Pires (Timor-Leste)
- Kadir Topbaş (Turkey)
- John Podesta (United States)
- Tawakel Karman (Yemen)
- Amina J. Mohammed (ex officio)
For further information, contact Charlotte Scaddan, United Nations Department of Public Information, tel.: +1 917 367 9378; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. For details about the post-2015 process, visit: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/beyond2015.shtml.