Key Points On Digital Storytelling
Thank you to everyone who joined our calls today and yesterday. Scott will soon be sending out recordings in case you weren't able to make it. I wanted to outline a few key points that we covered in the calls:
1. For all your technical questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We have a team of 8 Digital Volunteers, Sehrish Shaban and of course Scott and I, who are monitoring this email address for your questions.
2. Working with your midwife: we encourage you to continue working with your midwife even though you are not creating a written piece for your assignment. You can talk to her about your story ideas, focus, and even outline--digital stories, just like written pieces, have a lead, a body and a conclusion.
3. Language for your Digital Story: Because this is an assignment for VOF, we ask that any titles or narration that you include be in English. We highly encourage you to do a version in your local language as well if you're interested! So, if you are filming someone who is speaking in Spanish, make sure the subtitles are in English so our team can read it.
4. If you will be filming minors, please contact our team immediately so we can help you ensure the highest ethical standards possible.
5. Creative Commons: if you'd like to use music or photos from the internet, you MUST make sure that you have permission to do so. Creative Commons is an organization that gives access to photos, video, music, etc, that is licensed for you to use. You can see our write up about this organization in the learning materials: http://www.worldpulse.com/pulsewire/programs/voices-of-our-future/48834
6. Music--Remember, music must be licensed to use, just like photos that you get off the internet. The only exception to this rule is if you use a clip of music for less than 10 seconds--then, you can use whatever music you please (it does not have to be licensed). Just make sure it's less than 10seconds!
7. Your Digital Story can be about anything that you are passionate about. As long as it is solutions oriented and focuses on global issues through the eyes of women, you're good!