Online Community Management Intern/Volunteer
Help World Pulse Cultivate a Unique Online Community!
World Pulse is looking for a community organizer and motivated multi-tasker with impeccable communication skills to support the growth and success of World Pulse’s online community and newswire, PulseWire. This volunteer position will serve to monitor, activate, support and grow our online community and platform to ensure that grassroots women leaders and supporters of women’s initiatives have a safe space to speak for themselves, secure needed resources for their projects, and collaborate to solve global issues.
World Pulse is an action media network devoted to lifting and uniting women's voices to accelerate their impact for the world. With a focus on grassroots women change leaders, our growing web-based platform supports media and empowerment training, the exchange of resources, and the broadcast of member content.
World Pulse was founded as a non-profit social media enterprise in Portland, Oregon in 2003. Today a network of 40,000 women are speaking out and connecting through World Pulse.
- Security and Mediation: Monitor all site activity daily to identify and block spam, assist with mediation where needed and keep community free of unwanted/harmful activity.
- Spotlighting Content: Keep community spotlights fresh by regularly featuring exemplary posts. Refresh spotlights on PulseWire homepage every Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
- Resource Exchange: Research funding and training opportunities and frequently post in our global bulletin board. Review other posts and look for possible connections and exchanges.
- Database Management: Log records of exemplary members, success stories, feedback from members, community needs, etc.
- Customer Service: Assist members to utilize and navigate the site, and assist Online Community Manager with customer service, as necessary.
- Communications: Assist with monthly community newsletter/ecommunications and social media posts to keep community informed and engaged in current program offerings, resources and new features.
- Pursuing a university degree, graduate in, or interested in communications, journalism, women’s studies, online community management, or a related field.
- Experience and an interest in working with diverse communities and varying cultures.
- Understands and is very comfortable with the social media universe including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Wikis, Blogs, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work individually on a project or in a team environment.
- Excels at research, possesses excellent writing skills and the ability to quickly produce quality editorial and technical writing.
- A strong interest in understanding and implementing the latest and best tips, applications, and technology news.
- Possesses functional knowledge or some experience with HTML.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovative thinking to move the community forward and stay on the cutting edge of technology.
- Knowledge of international issues, women’s and children’s international human rights.
- A member of PulseWire.
- Reports to: Online Community Manager
- Works directly with: Online Community Manager, Community Volunteers, Programs Team.
- Terms: Volunteer must be based in Portland, OR, able to come to the World Pulse office, and able to commit at least 5 hours/week to this position.