What Are Some of Your Biggest Queer Rights Concerns?
To start things off, I'd like to suggest that we list some of our biggest concerns in the area of queer rights. Global queer empowerment fits in right alongside global women's empowerment, as patriarchal systems harm both women and queer people (and queer women or queer people who present as female doubly). What are some of the biggest concerns in your country, or for you personally?
I'll start with mine:
- Access to treatment and protection from abuse in prison, especially for transgender and gender-nonconforming prisoners
- Racism and misogyny within queer spaces, including transmisogyny and prioritizing middle-class values like capitalism
- Poverty, particularly for queer youth who have been disowned and those who cannot access social services due to gender or sexuality
- Prevalence of HIV/AIDS, particularly among black gay men in the US
- Rape and domestic violence within queer communities and against queer people as a hate crime
- Refusal of authorities such as teachers and employers to allow for creative gender expression
- Education that emphasizes strict gender roles
- Sex education and medical professionals excluding queer sexuality and sexual health
Those are just some of my concerns, but I'd like to hear yours!