Your basic kit
Your basic kit should consist of a video camera, tapes, batteries, a
battery charger, headphones and relevant leads to power your camera.
Try to include an external microphone and a tripod for steady fi lming.
RCA/S-Video or firewire cables are also useful to playback what you
have filmed on a television, camera, or computer.
You may want to invest in separate lighting but this is expensive
and can be hired if necessary. Most cameras function well even in
relatively low light, so you will find that you rarely need specialized
Suggested additional equipment
• Camera case with desiccant to keep camera dry
• Waterproof jacket (if using camera in humid or wet situations)
or “Pelican Case” (a hard case that protects the camera from
knocks and water)
• Batteries (choose their duration based on your projected access
to mains electricity)
• Tripod (either a photo-video tripod or a video tripod with a
• Microphone(s) (see the discussion on microphones below,
• Windscreen for microphone (reduces or eliminates wind
• Reflector Board (for more information on this see below,
• Extended warranty