5 for Fairness - Supporting projects that foster fairness for girls worldwide
I recently had a conversation with Anna McDonnell, Founding Executive Director of 5 for Fairness, an online grantmaking community, dedicated to supporting projects that foster fairness for girls worldwide.
She was interested to invite World Pulse women to promote their projects for possible funding in this unique community platform. Take a look!
Their grant-making process works like this:
1. Our Grant Account reaches $5000. (This is where we are today, 2/4/11)
2. 5 for Fairness members have three to four weeks to create Teams for organizations they believe deserve the $5000 grant.
3. Team leaders and other supporters tell the story of their organization on their Team page using discussion posts, photos and videos. They enlist 5 for Fairness members to "Join" their Team. Members can join as many teams as they like, showing support for multiple organizations they think are worthy of moving into the voting round.
4. The 5 Teams with the most members move to the Voting Round.
5. The community votes.
6. The winning organization gets a check for $5000!
There are only two rules:
First, Team leaders must be volunteers. If you are employed by a nonprofit, you cannot start a Team for it. That said, we welcome employees as members and encourage them to help their volunteer Team leader tell the organization's story most effectively. Second, we must be able to legally give to your organization in compliance with all relevant US laws.